BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

it runs, then it dies

Re: it runs, then it dies

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Update: the caerburetor is good. Got one from a local friend and is running fine. Now it wont die, idles smooth, sounds really nice. Only one thing i noticed, when i plug the distributor vacum it all goes a little rough. Unplugged it develops fine thru the gearss, hooked to the vacum port it struggles on third gear. Im making progress
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11450
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 pm

,,,,,and now you are back to the Load o matic and spark valve,,,,,,does the new carb have a spark valve,,,,,,how about put the new spark valve in it and see if things get better,,,,,,does the engine run bad when it is at idle and you hook up the vacuum line?

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeah, it has the new spark valve. And with the dis plugged it idles a little rough..
Im looking for the most economic solution, and also the best at hand.. the new autolite i got for 20, rebuilt. I thought, if they were selling them for 450 with the spark advance valve, mustang guys. There must be a good solution for the loadomatic (future planning)
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11450
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:29 pm

You need to have the engine idle good BEFORE you hook up the vacuum line,,,,,the spark valve is affected by the engine timing,,,,it has to be right to make the throttle plate in the carb be in the right position so that it does not turn on the spark valve so that the spark valve does not turn on the vacuum advance at the wrong time,,,,, looks like they could of gotten rid of those Load O matics after 1968,,,,, this might be the NORMAL distributor that NORMAL carburetors use,,,,,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Distributor/1972-Ford-E100-1-2-ton-Van/_/N-ipojqZ93xku?itemIdentifier=154872_0_0_4431

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 pm

So, what happens if i leave the vaccum unhooked from the carb and plugged?
joe-a-gogo

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-09-13

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:31 am

I've been reading this whole post cause I have some problems with the carb too. It's a 170 manual with an Autolite 1100. Also a Pertronix ignition. Engine fires right up, with a little choke. Idling is fine, but gas when stationary it sucks a bit and then goes up in rpm. Seems to stall but just not quite. When I put it in first it just stalls, when I fiddle with the pedal it's possible to drive but it's just not what's supposed.
Any suggestions?
Seth G
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 1700
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 am

Needle maybe sticking closed. Fuel filter or pick up in tank could be plugged up. Could be a problem with the fuel pump, is the oil OK, i.e. no gas in the oil? Outside of all of that and assuming the ignition is OK, it's probably time to rebuild the carb.
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks I've already looked into a new carb. Since I live in Europe, these carbs are not easy to come by (or find someone with the knowledge of these old suckers).
I forgot to mention that I installed a new fuel pump cause mine was leaking bad. Installed a new inline filter too.
That said, any suggestions for carbs that are interchangeable with the 1100?
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am

Right, could it have anything to do with the spark control valve? And is that thingie really needed?
Seth G

Post by Seth G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes it is needed. I doubt it has anything to do with the problem but you could take it off and examine it. You could disconnect the line from the distributor and plug it and see if anything changes. You could have the coil tested and/or reinstall the points and make sure it's not the pertronix or the coil failing. It sounds fuel related but it would be good to eliminate the ignition system as a cause before you get to deep into it.
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 pm

I have some checking to do.. 😐. But I read that the scv works with the load-a-matic dizzy. Pertronix works differently, that's why I figured it to be useless.
My Pertronix gets its vacuum from under the carb, a connection on the intake.
Seth G

Post by Seth G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 pm

They make a universal replacement carb with a manual choke by a company called Daytona Carbs. People that have installed them have been happy. Also a Holley 1940 w/a SCV is a direct replacement. It sounds like you've gone over alot of the fuel stuff, did you check flow? Did this problem start suddenly?

I would check the coil, the pertronix, and the rest of the ignition/wiring before messing with the carb to much.
Seth G

Post by Seth G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 pm

The pertronix is just a module that replaces the points in the distributor. I'm sure your distributor is a LOM type. You should be able to swap in a new set of points and condenser into the distributor in a few minutes and eliminate the pertronix module as a cause. Also get a new coil and swap that out. Pertronix have been known to fail in a way similar to as you are describing, especially if the ignition was inadvertently left in the "on" position for any length of time with the engine not running. Coil could also be suspect. They are cheap and easy things to check before going any deeper.
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks, I think it's fuel related cause it starts right up. I can drive it. I just need to fiddle with the pedal so much to keep it from stalling.
It idles fine but revving the engine it hesitates for a fraction of a second then goes up in rpm, you can hear a sucking sound. Only when I put load on it.
But that being said, I have driven it and it did it nice (not fantastic), just first gear...
Now that you mention it, I had been turning screws 😄, accordingly with the shop manual. It was running very rich, so I turned it down a notch.

I was looking at a new carb, the one you mentioned. Is that a direct replacement? Linkage doesn't need adaptation?
Seth G

Post by Seth G on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am

I haven't installed one, but looking at it, it's a holley 1904 knock off with an adjustable jet, the linkage is adjustable and in the right place, should be a cinch. Maybe someone who's installed one will chime in. You will need to reroute the fuel line from the fuel pump. Also it is a 'normal' carb, so ideally you would want to replace the LOM distributor with a 68 or later distributor. Which is no big deal unless your engine has the small 1/4" oil pump drive distributor. What year is the van?

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/universal-1v-replacement-carb-new

The 'suckinig noise' isn't a massive vacuum leak somewhere is it?
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:01 am

It's a '65.
So what happened was a check ball. I opened up the carb and there it was, laying in the bowl.
It was the check ball for the scv. When I put everything back together, it fired right up. Adjusted the idle and mixture screws a bit.
How can this happen, I wonder...
Thanks for the help, someday I'll put a new carb on it.
Seth G

Post by Seth G on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 pm

A 65 should have a 5/16" oil drive which is good, you could put a duraspark II distributer in it. The block code should be C3 or later. Only pulling the distributor will tell for sure. The 1100 is a very simple carb, but not the greatest design. It has 3 check balls and a weight. If any of that is assembled wrong it may run but it won't run well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 am