it runs, then it dies

donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11450
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Re: it runs, then it dies

Post by donivan65 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm

I am not interested in buying anything, unless something can't be fixed,,,,so rebuilding that Autolite is my 1st choice,,,but not for $120,,,you might have to get a new electronic distributor to cure that Load O Matic problem,,,,or maybe put a normal distributor in there,,,,,,you need some Ford people here to tell you what they are running,,,,,

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Sir, thanks for all the help. Gonna get that kit tomorrow afterwork and take at it. Will post when i have it mounted on the engine

organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 am

Like the Gov said..You have to match the carb to the dizzy.
Low vacuum carb should have a low vaccum dizzy.
Hi vacuum carb should have a hi vacuum dizzy.
The Autolite 1100 carb has low vacuum and should mate to the LoadOMatic dizzy.
The Carter carb has hi vaccum and should mate to a hi vacuum dizzy.
Look and determine which dizzy you have. Pop the cap and try and turn the rotor. If the rotor doesn't move it's a LoadOMatic. If the rotor moves and springs back to position it's a hi vacuum unit. Hope this helps.

OG

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

The rotor does not move. I believe i have a loadOmatic.then should i tackle the carburetor 1100 or go electronic?
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Tell me the price of a carb kit and what an electronic or kit for a distributor that does not use centrifugal or vacuum advances is,,,,,

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Got that right sir.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:26 pm

These guys are talking about a $400 electronic distributor,,,,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725307

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Im good with my autolite. Only thing is that it does not have a stamped number. I got a kit for a 65 falcon3.3 engine.. thats what i have..
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

But you see what they would do,,,,,,they hate that Load O Matic,,,,they say get a normal distributor or the electronic ignition distributor and module out of a newer Ford and put it in,,,,,,

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:02 am

Now i dont know where to go..
1. I got the autolite and kit
2. There is a reason why people dont like the loadOmatic
3. I dont have much time to go to a JY and get the electronic ignition.
Drew Peacock

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Post by Drew Peacock on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 am

I was having the same issues. I had to get towed home after i let off the gas pedal upon exiting the highway. Hard to restart and was ROUGH when it did. After folling with teh carb and rebuilding it, on start it was fine and smooth, even under load. After getting off the highway or driving around at 40 for a while, the engine would shutter and almost stall or stall completely. After many dicussions here and learning about dists and carbs, i realized someone put a holley 1940 replacement carb on the van. Its a van with 1800 original miles so i dont know why that happened. Second, the carb DID NOT have a spark control valve. That was causing the issues as it came back down to idle. When i was having the rough idling issues at red lights and such, i would actully open the engine cmpartment and manually move the choke butterfly to half open position and that would help a little. Finally, I replaced the points/condensor and ignition coil with pertronix items AND found a rebuilt autolite 1100 from the pony carbs guys and put that on as well. Problem solved (so far at least). The autolite has the spark control valve i need for a load-o-matic dist and the electronic conversion with new coil and plugs helped as well.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am

Clean and put a kit in the Autolite,,,,,DON"T lose the check balls in it and make sure you know WHERE THEY GO BACK IN,,,,,that Load O Matic has lasted 50 years,,,,you can get some more driving out of it,,,,,it's just choices,,,,see what comes up,,,,parts are hard to come by so you PATCH things up until you find better parts or better deals,,,,,,the thing is to figure out what you need to do and be ready to do it when and if parts show up,,,,,someone might be converting over to another system and want to sell their old parts,,,,,we go to wrecking yards all the time,,,,you can post what you want in the PARTS NEEDED SECTION and maybe someone has them or knows where to get them,,,,,but it might not happen real fast,,,,,you just got be in it for the long run,,,,,,,

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 pm

ok, i cleaned and put that autolite back together....
well, it does not inject.. does not squirt gas out of the little tube where it should. cleaned it up real good. blew compressed air thru every hole.
should i dip it in that carb cleaner with the basket?
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm

So,,,,the accelerator pump is not working,,,,,take the top off,,,,and see what is going on,,,,,the idea is that the square rubber diaphram sucks the gas out of the bowl then pumps it up to the squirter tube and into the carb,,,,,a lever on the outside pushes on that diaphram when you pump the gas pedal,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,the gas needs to go UP out of the bowl and those damn balls and weights make it go that way by only letting the gas flow one certain way,,,,,the balls or weight could be missing,,,,the balls could be leaking and not letting the gas pressure build up,,,,the squirter tube could be clogged up,,,,,,the lever on the outside might not be pumping the diaphram,,,,,I think a place called Mikes Carburetors or something shows you how to rebuild carbs,,,,let me see if he does Fords,,,,,Did you put new parts in it?

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

the squirter tube is clogged. put the lil' red straw from the carb cleaner and it does not come out the other end
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 pm

You can pump the carb and see if gas flows up out of the bowl,,,,if it does, then it ain't going anywhere,,,,so the squirter tube could be the problem,,,,,you should be able to spray carb cleaner through it,,,,but those balls are tricky,,,they could be letting the gas go somewhere else instead of out the squirter tube,,,,maybe cut a piece of wire off a wire brush and try and poke it in the squirter tube with needle nose pliers,,,,,here is some Mikes Carb stuff,,,,,

http://www.carburetor-blog.com/manuals/autolite_ford_service_manual.pdf

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm

The thing with the bbs in the carburetor is that some show 4, that one shows 3, the exploded view on the kit shows 4 and specifies one for a specific engine.. i unclogged the squirter tube. Wish me luck
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 pm

You don't need luck,,,,,,you need a Chevy,,,,

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:33 am

im looking for a first gen around my area, all i find are dodge and fomocos... my first early was a chevy. Got stolen in Cd. Juarez. Mexico

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:08 am

well, im in a situation here.
asking around my area and acquaintances, i came across this guy who says he has a distributor from a 69 mustang with the 3.3 engine (200) that it fits mine and will work with the carter RBS. is this a good option?

i mounted the autolite last night and it did not work. maybe the bbs are not where they are supposed to be or.???
it sucks too much air and at idle is running fine, once i let it warm up a little it runs very very very rough. BAD.
whats the next thing i can do?
sorry for bothering ya'll too much.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am

See if you can try the other distributor and see if it,,,,and that RBS, work together,,,does the Autolite have the Anti-stall dashpot on it,did you put a ball in it,,,,,,,,,did you put a new spark valve and needle and seat in it,,,,did you put a ball above the pump diaphram and a ball and weight by the squirter,,,,and is it running too rich or too lean,,,,spray carb cleaner down into the carb,,,,see if it gets better or worst,,,,if it gets better, spray the outside and see if some spot makes it better,,,,,OR,,,,is there a bunch of gas laying down in the carb,,,,,and does it run better with that vacuum line disconnected,,,,,

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:50 pm

That could be the problem. See, when i opened this carb it came with three balls. One on the spark control, one on the pump diaphram, and ball and wight by the squirter. It has the antistall dashpot but with NO ball for it. The kit only comes with three checck balls
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Your carb probably needs 3 balls AND a weight on top of the ball by the squirter,,,,,I guess if you don't have that weight, you could try and put 2 balls in the squirter hole,,,,,and use the old balls if you need,,,,
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:51 pm

AND,,,,,you are not off the hook yet,,,,,check those springs next to the points,,,,see if anything is loose or sloppy or mixed up,,,,and let me make some new Ford friends here by saying that distributor is the worst I have ever seen,,,,,you need to bend those posts that the springs go on to adjust the advance,,,Ford just makes things 10 times more complicated than they need to be,,,,

Drew Peacock

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Post by Drew Peacock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

have you turned the idle mixture screw out while the car is in drive under load (put parking brake on). Mine did the same thing and took 3 1/2 turns out from stop to idle fine and smooth under load.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 am