VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+17
dodge man
Vanadian
Van Halen
Gothboy
Scott
BvrWally
Exto
Twinpilot001
G-Man
bugeye bob
dix
westcoastvanner
RodStRace
fmc56
MikeShums
econopoor
Donn
21 posters

How many states require two license plates?

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

How many states require two license plates? Empty How many states require two license plates?

Post by Donn Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I was reading the post about club stickers and license plates. In New York we have to have both front and rear plates. So we really don't have the need for custom plates.
    I was wondering how many other states require two plates?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

How many states require two license plates? Empty Re: How many states require two license plates?

Post by econopoor Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm

We don't, just one here in Tennessee.

Duane
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

How many states require two license plates? Empty Re: How many states require two license plates?

Post by MikeShums Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm

If you have regular plates in Mass, you have two plates - unless you still have the old 1970s green plate which is a single plate.

However, I have "year of manufacture" plates (1964 in my case) and you don't have to have two plates for that.

Frankly, I am not sure if you need two plates if you have official antique plates in this state.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Both Maine and Rhode Island require two.
    Fred
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:21 pm

westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Two plates, required in California.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:29 pm

one plate in pennslyVANia

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 pm

westcoastvanner wrote:Two plates, required in California.
    Yeah, but I drove everything I had with no front plate and the ONLY time I had an issue was going on base (friends' kid's graduation) and one cop who didn't have me on ANYTHING else! Had to get another cop to sign it off and his only question was "what did you do to pi$$ him off? " Razz
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 pm

wonder if any states still use prisoners to make license plates, when i renewed the tag on my pu truck they made me get a new one and i think it was because it didn't have the scan code on the old one, you know you ride by the police car sitting in the median and the two boxes on his rear deck lid is reading your life history. i thought that if someone was a criminal and had a new tag which is flat you could just scan it onto a piece of plastic and there would be no card reader. yes to much government invasion.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 am

Only one in MI
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 am

heres an interesting thing -here in washington state- 2 plates are required!!=YET!!= When a vehicle is 25 years old or older - you can get a "Collector" plate-it goes on rear only & then it is the only plate required on the vehicle!! and -nicely =all future lisence plate renewal fees no longer apply!! never pay again. cheers
    Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

Post by Exto Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 am

Two plates are required up here in Minnesota, (except motorcycles, because that would just be dumb) but people seem to ignore that when it's convenient.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am

2 here in Ohio, but I managed to register my Early a few years ago to a 1969 collector plate. Don't have to re-register for 50 years now!!!!!! lol Smile
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 am

jealous...here is Mass they require that we re-register every year. And normal cars register every two years! Can you say, let's screw the antique car owners???
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am

Two plates in Texas..

If you have vintage plates, that has to match the year of your vehicle, you still have to have two.

Texas is about to start issuing Black and White plates that look like the vintage Texas plates, but they will have some kind of tracking built in that the police can read.

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 am

@ twinpilot THATS AWESOME!!!!!! Jealous! Very Happy
    -GothY-
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Its nice in NC after 35 years you can put any plate on the car just as long as you keep your issued plate under your seat and you only need one.This is my plate.

How many states require two license plates? Plate10
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm

As I said in NY you have to have two. You can have the original years plate, but you have to have two and in my case 1963 they also had a '63 smaller plate on them.
    So to run correct year plates I first had to find a matching set then had to buy two '63 smaller plates. Now have to get my insurence card's read historical on them. Then I have to send all into to DMV main office to get their ok.. a lot of work, but I guess it's worth it, for me anyway Smile
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 pm

These US States require a Front and Rear DMV License Plates:
    Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming,

These US States only require a Rear DMV License Plate:
    Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia,

These Canada Provinces require a Front and Rear Issued License Plate
    British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan

These Canada Provinces only require a Rear Issued License Plate
    Alberta, Quebec, Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territory

I'm from Alberta only Rear plates required here. Any plate can go on the front.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 pm

How many states require two license plates? 00511
    i have only one 68 ohio plate, the dmv said to keep me historical plates in the van incase i get pulled over,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Wa.State requires only 1 rear plate if collector vehicle- they only issue 1 plats for that also. never renewable either!!=Yea! cheers
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 pm

we have to renew ours in 50 years,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Only one plate on the rear here in Georgia!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Saskatchewan only requires one plate, and it has to be on the rear of the vehicle.
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Post by wildbillinva Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:28 am

both plates in va. i put 1966 plates on my falcon deluxe club wagon in 2006. it cost me $54.00 at the dmv and i paid $20.00 for the old plates.
    i don't ever have to go back to the dmv for this van:)
    wildbillinva

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 am