VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Key hole mechanism

Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Key hole mechanism Empty Key hole mechanism

Post by Hellfish Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 pm

The key hole lock mechanism on my side barn door is missing the spring-loaded stainless "flap" (sorry, I don't know what it's called!). I have a spare, complete lock from a door that I don't have a key for. I'd like to swap the "flap" from one mechanism to the other.

Can anyone tell me how to do that? Is it even possible, or do I need to get a new key made for just that one door. Mad
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Key hole mechanism Empty Re: Key hole mechanism

Post by Barnabas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

You can re-key the new lock yourself with the pins and springs from the old lock.
    A locksmith should be able to do this quickly for little $$ if you take the two locks to him.

I'm doing this from memory from the time I did it 20 years ago.

There is a small rectangular cover on one side that comes off. Be careful not to drop the tiny pins and springs or get them mixed up.

Start with the new lock, because you won't mind loosing those parts.
    After removing the cover, you will see five holes. (Do I remember that correctly? Maybe it's six.)
    The pins and springs will slide out, so cover the holes with tape so you only see one hole.
    Each hole has two tiny pins and a spring.
    After emptying one hole, slide the tape over to expose and empty the next hole.
    You are practicing for the real lock.

After emptying the new lock, carefully remove the pins and springs from the old lock. Here is where you have to be very careful. Note the order the parts come out. You must install them in the same order.

Remove the pins and springs from one hole and immediately put those parts in the same hole on the new lock.

Continue until you have done all holes. Be sure to use tape to keep the pins from falling out until you get the cover back in place.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm