VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
EconoCarl
austinmodhouse
Van Halen
dix
RodStRace
toad
lectricman
Magic Bus
wylee
texasjohn
BILLS66
EconoUSAparts
Hemi A-100
crazee
benwah
Nightmoves
DanTheVanMan
Admin
wideload
savage
Digz
donivan65
Kakster
sasktrini
wacko
RipVanArkie
G-Man
31 posters

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Empty Re: MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 pm

GOT THE FRONT AXLE OUT, DIS-ASSEMBLED AND SANDBLASTED IT. INSTALLED NEW KING PINS AND BUSHINGS AND THE DARN THING LOOKS BRAND NEW! ALSO PULLED THE SEATS OUT OF THAT 53 CUSTOMLINE AND MOCKED UP A SEAT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL WORK WELL. I'TS ACTUALLY THE REAR SEAT BACK AND BOTTOM. I MAY CUT THE STEERING SHAFT AND INSTALL A UNIVERSAL JOINT OR TWO TO POSSIBLY GAIN A LITTLE MORE BELLY ROOM. PULLED THE PARKING BRAKE MECHANISM FROM IT AND HAVE A PIC OF WHERE I THINK IT WILL GO. NEXT IS SANDBLASTING THE UNDERSIDE LIKE G-MAN DID ON HIS VAN. MAN THATS NO FUN! THAT SAND GETS EVERYWHERE!!! IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? HOPEFULLY WHEN THE TAX REFUND COMES IN I CAN COMPLETE THE ENGINE AND TRANS PACKAGE AND FINALLY MOCK IT UP AND BUILD MOUNTS. UNTIL THEN THERE IS PLENTY OF SANDING AND RUST CLEANING TO DO. -GABE-[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a10[/img]MY SON CODY LOOKS PRETTY SERIOUS! LIKE MOM SAYS, EYES ON THE ROAD![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a11[/img]STILL LOTS OF ROOM BEHIND THAT SEAT! THAT'S GOOD.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a12[/img]WOW! GOOD AS NEW! GOTTA LOVE REAL STEEL!!![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a13[/img]ONE SEALY POSTUREPEDIC COMING UP![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a14[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a15[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Seat-a16[/img]WILL PROBABLY OPEN UP FLOOR AND DROP IT IN LOWER.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Empty Re: MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Are you moving the engine back to have the bench seat??? And yes you are right about the sand.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 pm

G-MAN- YEAH ITS GOING BACK AS FAR AS THE DRIVE SHAFT LENGTH WILL DICTATE. I AM INSTALLING A SHORTY SHAFT AND COVER ON A POWERGLIDE AND USING A WILCAP ADAPTER TO BOLT IT TO THE 302. THE DOWN SIDE IS I WILL HAVE TO MANUALLY SHIFT THE POWERGLIDE, BUT ITS GONNA BE LIKE DRIVING A STANDARD AND THATS OK. ONCE I GET THE ENGINE AND TRANS TOGETHER I CAN FIGURE OUT EXACTLY HOW FAR BACK IT WILL BE. WAITING ON TAX RETURN. -GABE-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Look into some of the cable shifters that are out there for that trans. Is that 302 a Ford or a Chevy???

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:27 pm

YEAH CABLE WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. IT IS A FORD 302, NON ROLLER. IT SHOULD RUN AND SOUND GOOD. I PLAN ON HAVING EXHAUST CUT-OUTS ON THE HEADERS THAT DUMP STRAIGHT OUT THE SIDES OF THE BODY WHEN OPENED UP VIA REMOTE LEVER. HEE HEE HEE![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 101_1010[/img]SEE THE LEVEL OF THE HEADER OUTLETS.

Last edited by BALCONES1 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ADD PICS)

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Kewl, love the fab work. Cant wait to get my garage/shop done this year so I can get some work done.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Great looking motor (that next for me) I was thinking of running cut out also. (to scare the moms in the SUV's)

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 pm

BINGO!!!!!!!!! HA! HA!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:24 am

Looks great! I love this stuff!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, today I dug out all my parts to see what I have and what I need. I was suprised at what good shape they were all in. It's been so long since it was stripped down I forgot what I had. Now i can work on my parts needed list since I will be starting the re-assembly process soon.
    P.S. the glove box and ash tray will probably be for sale as well as some other parts in these pics. I will post them on E-Parts for sale as I decide to sell them. Let me know if any of you need anything.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-10[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-11[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-12[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-13[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-14[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-15[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-16[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-17[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-18[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Econo-19[/img]
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 am

Its pretty amazing how many "Extra" parts ya end up with doing a major swap and change, I have several small crates and boxes and a couple piles of
    "Stuff" to , think if my van doesnt make it to Bakers the leftovers will, see if anybody wants or needs any of it. Some awsome work there man ,, I like your posts.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 am

Holy pieces/ parts........ Good to have a large collection of extra parts so you can pick and choose the best of everything.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Got Parts ? Wow did you line your driveway?You cant ever have enough spares.Good bartering tool or financing purposes.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:19 pm

BEEN WORKING HARD LATELY SINCE I GOT MY TAX RETURN. HERE'S SOME PICS TO GET YOU GUYS UP TO DATE.THIS IS THE CULMINATION OF MANY LATE NIGHTS OF WORK.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w10[/img] RUST CONVERTER FOR THIS.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w11[/img] STUFF WORKS GOOD![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w12[/img] CUT OUT FRONT INNER FENDERS AND RAISED THEM UP. I NEVER WANT TO WELD UPSIDE DOWN AGAIG!! OUCH![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w13[/img] EVEN GOT THE KIDS TO HELP WITH THE DIRTY WORK![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w14[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w15[/img] SPRAYED ALL METAL INSIDE AND OUT WITH METAL BLAST, (PHOSPHORIC ACID) AND RINSED AND DRIED.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w16[/img] YEAH! I REALLY LIKE COFFEE![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w17[/img] FENDERS BIGGER![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w18[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w19[/img] BUILDING THE REAR CROSSMEMBER/SHOCK MOUNT[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w20[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w21[/img]THE RADIATOR FITS! AWSOME![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w22[/img] TIME FOR SOME HORSES![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w23[/img] GONNA BE A SHORT DRIVE SHAFT! DONT KNOW IF I'LL HAVE TO INSTALL THE TRANS SHORTY COVER OR NOT.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w24[/img] THIS ENGINE MOUNT ONLY NEEDED SLIGHT MODS.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w25[/img] MADE A TRANS MOUNT OUT OF AN OLD BIKE RACK.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w26[/img] I HATE TO HAVE TO COVER UP THAT PRETTY ENGINE![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w27[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w28[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Body_w29[/img] THE SEAT STILL FITS! YAAAH![img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Cody_s10[/img] MY SON CODY, BUILT HIS FIRST ECONOLINE TODAY!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:38 pm

My tubbs are made like yours, have to say his you work FAST, getting alot done in a short time. Might be something about that coffee
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Great stuff! Man I love watching your build thread!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 am

i feel your pain on welding upside down! had a spark go in my ear once only hurt for a week, now i wear earplugs when im welding upside down never want that to happen again!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Cool X2 BALCONES1.
    Man, that is just amazing!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 am

I think some plexiglass for the engine cover is needed to show that beauty off!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Very cool indeed !! Cool
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:55 am

Those welding sparks can be a royal pain.Several years ago I used to run an old track burner.One day while cutting some 4" plate,a big ball of slag bounced in my shoe and rested on the top of my foot.I looked like James Brown on crack,dancing around on one foot.Sad part,i could'nt run away from it. lol My foot kept a scar for years.
    Balcones,your fab work and motor looks great !!! Love the pics of your labors.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:56 am

VERY NICE! LOVE the brake set up. Wish we could see more and hear more on that.
    Smile
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:31 am

Man, this thing is completely bad to the bone!!!! I can't wait to see more of it. I love the bench seat and the wind tunnel will foresure help. It helped my A-100 pickup big time!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue May 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Wondering how things are going? Was really enjoying the build pics.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm

I woud research the TSM kit before installing it. You have other options which have more favorable reviews. It will work but there are issues. It's been a HUGE topic of discussion at the oldeconolines for years and many,many archived posts discuss the differences between the kits available and possible solutions using the D and D kit,Roger Mingle's intrepid rotor/GM caliper kit, junkyard parts from Mustang,AMC,and others. Looks like you have your hands full with the restoration. Keep up the good work. Im here if you have any questions and also Fred from this site is a wealth of information and always wiling to help. My new p/u has the Roger Mingle kit on it but I ve seen the D and D kit and it's very nice also. Dennis at D and D is always there for any help you may need with the install.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm