VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed...........

TallGuy
    TallGuy

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2011-09-21

Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed........... Empty Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed...........

Post by TallGuy Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 am

I have purchased a rebuilt 1978 200ci motor which was previously mated to an automatic transmission. I currently have a tired 170ci motor in my 1963 E100 pickup mated to a 3 speed manual transmission.
    I want to keep the manual transmission but I am being told that I need to get a pilot bearing/bushing (not shure which as I have heard it called both)into the end of the crankshaft on the new motor.
    I would like to be able to do this without having to pull a freshly rebuilt motor apart (I know, I should have done my home work before I bought it) and get it done as inexpensively as possible.
    The two methods I have heard about are as follows:
    1. Use a pilot bushing/bearing adaptor, apparently the bushing/bearing has a knurled outer edge that can be pressed into the opening on the crankshft. I have been unable to find such an adapter so any help there would be appreciated.
    2. Tapping the opening in the crankshaft and screwing in a bushing/bearing. I don't have the ability to tap the crankshaft so I would probably have to take it to a machine shop which sounds kind of expensive.
    So, these are the two methods I have heard of, any guidance you can provide owuld be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    TallGuy
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed........... Empty Re: Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed...........

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:49 pm

The bushing is just pressed in. You can do it with the engine out. Most people just drive them in with a hammer and a deep socket. The hard part is getting an old worn bushing out but you don't have that problem because the AT does not use one. I am not sure if a roller bearing pilot is available for the small six. I prefer the bronze bushing anyway.
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2011-09-21

Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed........... Empty Re: Crankshaft Conversion Help Needed...........

Post by TallGuy Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks 66ThunderVan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm