VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help

StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help Empty Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help

Post by StuNami Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey All,

Been a long winter and getting back to fixing things up and I want to replace my oem gauges. Who knows which aftermarket fuel gauge works with the 67 OEM sending unit? Also, does anyone have any experience with electronic spedometers?

Stunami
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help Empty Re: Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help

Post by 66e100pu Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 pm

You need a guage that is 73 - 10 ohms. Most gauge suppliers use a 0 - 90 ohm gauge for GM applications, but Autometer has most of their line-up available in 73 - 10. The only drawback is you can't order a set of gauges - all the sets come with the GM fuel gauge. I have an electronic Autometer speedo that works like a dream - let me know if you have any installation questions.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help Empty Re: Aftermarket fuel gauge to use with OEM sending unit help

Post by Jessetygr Fri May 04, 2012 9:10 pm

66e100pu wrote:You need a guage that is 73 - 10 ohms. Most gauge suppliers use a 0 - 90 ohm gauge for GM applications, but Autometer has most of their line-up available in 73 - 10. The only drawback is you can't order a set of gauges - all the sets come with the GM fuel gauge. I have an electronic Autometer speedo that works like a dream - let me know if you have any installation questions.

hey 66e100pu,
    I'm in the same boat and looking to order a whole new set of autometer in-dash gauges for my 65 falcon..Are you saying that it's best to buy each gauge separately as opposed to the kit?
    Jes
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Fri May 04, 2012 9:42 pm

I've never found a set of Autometer that was packaged with the fuel gauge for an early Ford. If you price everything out, the $$$ difference between buying them separately or as a set is small anyway. If you find a screaming deal on a set, grab it and then buy the right fuel gauge separately. There are other manufacturers that do make full sets that come with a multi application fuel gauge (you change the settings when you first install it), but I've tried a bunch of the others, and the money saved is just not worth it compared to the quality that Autometer puts out. I've been suckered more than once into saving a couple of hundred bucks, but everytime I do, I'm always dissappointed with the final results. Autometer is expensive, but in this case you really do get what you pay for...
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 am

Thanks for the tip.. I found an in-dash kit on-line for about $275 (with a mech. speedo) which is quite a lot cheaper then anything I can find in my neck of the woods.. At that price, it's almost worth buying an additional fuel gauge..
    It's all part of a full new wiring harness I'm dropping into my Van so it should be pretty easy to install..
    J
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Sun May 06, 2012 8:17 am

I got mine direct from classic instruments as a kit. They will make you a kit of the gauges you want and the senders you need for no extra charge.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Wed May 09, 2012 4:28 pm

StuNami wrote:I got mine direct from classic instruments as a kit. They will make you a kit of the gauges you want and the senders you need for no extra charge.

Hey StuNami,
    I spoke with the guys at classic instruments today and they were super helpful!..
    They have good ideas and make it pretty easy to upgrade instruments ..
    (not to mention some cool gauges)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:09 pm