VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
RodStRace
6 posters

rubber fuel line

rubber fuel line Empty rubber fuel line

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 am

hey everybody,
    does anyone know if its okay to put a rubber fuel line all the way, i dit put it on the van but i'm not using it so no problem , but i did it also on my 1987 Dodge Ram, fuel line kept leaking was all rusted, so i did put a rubber hose all the way,but i did changed the fuel pump, a bite of time after, now i have to change it again (year later), could it be the rubber hose that make the resistance, if i have to put it back to steel hose, i'll do it, but i'm not shure, mayby a bad fuel pump? rubber residu in the fuel filter?....thanks for any inputs .......corrosive
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

rubber fuel line Empty Re: rubber fuel line

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 am

Not a good idea. NHRA requires a foot TOTAL in the entire car for safety.
    Besides the rot you also have heat and vibration, plus the pump has to pull through a flexible hose instead of a rigid tube.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am

Places like Autozone sell metal fuel line tubing,,,,you can buy a couple of 5 foot long pieces and connect them together or a whole roll of it,,,,,,

rubber fuel line Fuel10

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 pm

so the reason for NHRA not making it total rubber is for safety, i mean for fire, but does it do something to the pump,( for my personal info, i will have to justify to my buddys ... by the way i'll change both lines)..in some way im happy that happen near my home and get to fix the problem for both trucks....thank you very much guys...always big help...corrosive

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:36 pm

so the reason for NHRA not making it total rubber is for safety, i mean for fire, by the way i'll change both lines)..in some way im happy that happen near my home and get to fix the problem for both trucks....thank you very much guys...always big help...corrosive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm

i would agree with rod. you can use it to get out of a problem but not for the fix all. there is a reason the car companys used steel, the new line don talked about you can bend by hand and does not rust.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 am

with the ethanol gas now used, whatever section of line is rubber use the fuel injection rated hose - oo3
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 am

You can buy aluminum hard line cheap and it's real easy to work with. Summit and Jegs sells it. Plus it sells in 25ft rolls so it can be done in one shot.

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am

tubing benders are cheap as well, I rerouted my fuel line up the firewall and had to use about a 2' piece of rubber line there but I changed it back over to metal on top. I also put a heat sleeve over it.

I would use a little as possible since it is prone to collapse, melt, leak from chafing etc.

Quick picture since i have one:

There is a metal fuel line under that heat shield, I got a 24" section with fittings on it that would fit my carb, bent it in the shape you see and then changed over to rubber at the firewall. Once it goes down it connects to a filter mounted on the frame rail and changes back to metal.

rubber fuel line Silver%2520City-20100919-00045

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am