VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD Empty MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm

MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD Empty Re: MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Eastwood makes some great products.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD Empty Re: MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Are you thinking of getting one????

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I just wonder how much media it would take to do a whole pickup or van. It looks like it may take a lot.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:27 pm

First, there are a LOT of soda blasting videos on you tube. Check them out.
    Second, the guy only touches on after treatment. Washing with water alone is not enough! Do some searches and you will find that it needs to be neutralized with a vinegar solution and some scuffing is good too. This is so the primer has something to bite on.
    Third, I soda blasted a friend's car and it still has some soda clumps hiding in corners. You want the shell to be completely empty and be able to flip it around to get all the soda out.
    Fourth, I plan on doing my van soon. We used 12-15 50# bags to do the outside of his Challenger, to do the inside and outside of mine, I expect at least 20 bags. Pricing is usually on a pallet basis. Check your local supply.
    Fifth, the reason I plan on using my friend's tools to do my own is that I was quoted 900 for the outside, 900 for the inside ($1800). It's hot, messy, dirty, and you need to develop a touch so you don't waste material or harm the body.
    Sixth, they also skip over what powers the blasting pot. Even a 220V 2 stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank is not going to be able to keep up with the demand. That is the absolute minimum needed, and you will have lots of down time letting it catch up. My friend has a gas-powered trailer mounted compressor, the type used to power jack hammers.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:43 pm

RodStRace wrote:First, there are a LOT of soda blasting videos on you tube. Check them out.
    Second, the guy only touches on after treatment. Washing with water alone is not enough! Do some searches and you will find that it needs to be neutralized with a vinegar solution and some scuffing is good too. This is so the primer has something to bite on.
    Third, I soda blasted a friend's car and it still has some soda clumps hiding in corners. You want the shell to be completely empty and be able to flip it around to get all the soda out.
    Fourth, I plan on doing my van soon. We used 12-15 50# bags to do the outside of his Challenger, to do the inside and outside of mine, I expect at least 20 bags. Pricing is usually on a pallet basis. Check your local supply.
    Fifth, the reason I plan on using my friend's tools to do my own is that I was quoted 900 for the outside, 900 for the inside ($1800). It's hot, messy, dirty, and you need to develop a touch so you don't waste material or harm the body.
    Sixth, they also skip over what powers the blasting pot. Even a 220V 2 stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank is not going to be able to keep up with the demand. That is the absolute minimum needed, and you will have lots of down time letting it catch up. My friend has a gas-powered trailer mounted compressor, the type used to power jack hammers.
    good info. Thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 pm

No problem, Mike. Check around your location, prices for stuff always varies, materials and full service.

The Challenger I did had 3-5 coats of stuff on it, including a nasty gooey primer coat. My van has factory White, a respray of Tan and some Green over that. It all comes off easily using a DA sander, so it should strip much easier. I'll have to use sand on small areas of the floor and other spots with rust. Soda does not cut through rust.
    You also want to have a plan of attack for getting all the media out and then prep and prime. The Challenger was left bare outside for weeks. It did get rained on and got some surface rust that was easily dealt with, but that is not the optimum solution.
    Blowing out the car was like chasing a piece of paper on a windy day. I will have the van on a rotisserie, which should make it better. I still anticipate that the interior ribs will be murder to get blasted and empty of stuff.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I have the "Dual Blaster" and it is amazing!!! and a good stock of soda!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

MEDIA/SODA BLASTING AND LIQUID CHROME PAINT VIDEO DEMO BY EASTWOOD Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 pm

There is conflicting info on whether or not to use vinegar. More confusion/opinions abound.

Choices:

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/gainsborough/blogs/11104

Helpful but confusing:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/soda-blasting-83749.html

To further confuse:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sandblasting-soda-blasting-media-blasting-82860.html

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 pm

As long as your researching ,check out having it done with dry ice. it doesnt leave anything to clean up except the debris from the paint. I would imagine its quite exspensive tho.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Eugene Phillips said to use vinegar on the hinges since they are galvanized. That way the paint will adhere better to the hinge, He told me to wash with soap and water after soda blasting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 pm