VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
BILLS66
G-Man
andrew carter
slowflapper
m1dadio
Lazarusvan
10 posters

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) - Page 2 Empty Re: SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I finally decided on Magnaflow for exhaust as that seems like the best of both worlds in terms of sound inside and out. I like the Thrush welded old school sound, but many say they drone at highway speeds.

As far as headers are concerned, is this the time to add those when doing the exhaust or are they easily added later? I was going to go with 2.25" pipe or perhaps 2.5". I was advised that unless I have a built engine, that the 2.5" isn't really necessary.

If I thought I might add headers at a later date, is the 2.5" pipe a requirement or recommended? How much extra noise do headers contribute?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) - Page 2 Empty Re: SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Post by slowflapper Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:13 am

In regards to headers:
    The connection point for headers vs cast iron manifolds is going to be different. That means if you add them later you are going to incur some small cost at the muffler shop to get the exhaust piping and collectors cut back to fit up with wherever the headers connection point is.

So, if you really want headers (and they do add horse power) you can pay more upfront or pay some on the backend, your choice really.

A note of interest regarding headers:
    Spend the extra cash and buy good quality metal impregnated or metal gaskets so they wont blow out. Headers vibrate more than cast iron so they are bad about blowing out the gaskets and developing leaks. To avoid that you use the best gaskets you can find and re-tighten them once a week for the first few weeks after install, mainly because the gaskets will "settle" as they get hot/cold.

You also don't need 2.5" pipes imho, 2/2.25 is plenty unless you have some pretty hot performance mods.

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:40 am

Something else to keep in mind. "If" you used long tube headers, it will really cut down on the distance you have to play with for muffler and pipe combos that exit in front of the wheel wells.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 am

Digz wrote:Something else to keep in mind. "If" you used long tube headers, it will really cut down on the distance you have to play with for muffler and pipe combos that exit in front of the wheel wells.

Thanks, Digz and Snowflapper. Digz or anyone explain long tube vs. others benefits? I have never done this before so it's a new thing. Also, I am curious if adding headers necessarily increases interior noise?

I will be adding the custom insulation kit I purchased from Roman when I find spare time, so perhaps not an issue.

Suggestions on bang for buck headers?

Can't wait to be able to drive with the windows down and not have a headache from fumes bounce
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 am

Any headers will be louder, but it's the cool factor from the sound. The way our vans are set up long tube headers will be too low to the ground. If you use headers use the block huggers
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:43 am

Hedders= long tube =will usually develope more torque @ lower RPM- HP @ high end. Remember - all headders depend on engine mods - to develope power. Usually on stock/ standard rebuilt engines - add some =yet never enough to justify costs & work envolved - usually just something that ads eye candy & something to talk about- to each his own?- you can spend little (shorty hedders) or a lot on hedders. Chrome, wrapped, ceramic coated, stainless steel , or=??
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:54 am

TP, that is good info. I just had a manifold leak fixed and I wasn't ready to commit to cams and trying to figure out what would work with my setup. No point to add headers (other than better sound?), according to you, if I haven't beefed up the motor. Am I gonna gain some HP by adding headers with stock engine?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Well I run long tubes, they are for a 1972 chevy van already reduced to 2". they arent much lower than the oil pan and my engine is lowered 1-1/2 " but I do have the springs arched up a bit also.
    SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) - Page 2 Front_10
    I got them off Ebay for 40$ NOS. Like I mentioned all I have room for is a pair of glasspacks and an imediate 90 to the side off them. Is it loud ?, YES ! Man if I was putting one together just to drive everyday with a stock engine Id think about staying with manifolds just for the hassle free part.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm

[i]Hi Ray - absoutely - no - not enough to matter-sorry
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Digz wrote:Well I run long tubes, they are for a 1972 chevy van already reduced to 2". they arent much lower than the oil pan and my engine is lowered 1-1/2 " but I do have the springs arched up a bit also.
    SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) - Page 2 Front_10
    I got them off Ebay for 40$ NOS. Like I mentioned all I have room for is a pair of glasspacks and an imediate 90 to the side off them. Is it loud ?, YES ! Man if I was putting one together just to drive everyday with a stock engine Id think about staying with manifolds just for the hassle free part.

Digz, I'm with you. That was my point about the noise. I spent all this time researching a good sounding muffler that isn't annoying inside that I don't want to drive loud all around town. I want to hear it rumble when I get on it, but not at idle or so loud I can't hear my tunes. I've been driving a lot now that it's running right and will continue to do so several days a week. It's finally becoming fun. Thanks for all the help and feedback.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am