VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
RodStRace
6 posters

Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ?

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ? Empty Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ?

Post by RodStRace Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:31 pm

A guy on Moparts just backed into a van there. He's looking for interest in the whole thing or parts.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6851060&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ? Empty Re: Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ?

Post by G-Man Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:14 pm

As far as I know most Michigan members here are in lower MI, That van is in the UP about 5-6 hrs away
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:11 pm

For a van in Michigan i think it has normal issues.The story says $2,500 to make it machanicaly sound. and the owner would take care of the little things, ??? fix the floors to keep the exaust out and to be safe, king pins and a rad, and brakes, (little things ) battery ,tires, tune up, i don't see why that would cost very much to do, unless the owner wants all the body work done and the rebushing the hindges.and so on. If the owner is over his head he should dismantal it him-self to recover his money or at least some of it. I have no idea what it would cost to trailer the van to ohio. i don't see very much money it the parts there. I agree with you Rod the patch panels are avalible, but i would never have someone 6 or so hours away doing work a a van i owned. that makes no scense. As well i would not want to be doing the work and not knowing if i was going to get paid. Ya hate to see this stuff happen

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:12 am

In reality there doesnt look to be a whole ton of rust on that thing. The small stuff at the bottom of the sides look to be repairable with just small strips of material vs replacing the entire panel. As you mentioned on the other thread there doesnt appear to be any rust on the roof, which I know there are a lot of people looking for a good one. If it HAS to be cut up it looks like pretty much all of the sections are useful.
    The drivers rear corner (from beltline down) looks to be in much better shape than mine. If you could mention the interest for it on the other thread I would appreciate it.
    Heck the nose even looks better than mine, but I am not sure how far I want to go with mine for the time being.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for the link & exposure RodStRace.

I just wanted to clear a few things up before this spirals out of control with would've, could've, should'ves.

The "buyer" just happen to be passing through my town when he saw the van for $800.00. He liked it due to the fact that it was the era he always dreamed about owning, it was in his price range, and it had a V8 engine.
    He told the owner he'd like to buy it, but couldn't unless he knew for sure he had someone to haul it the 500 miles (from 49855 to 43604) to his house. I told him I would haul it down there for $600.00. He agreed to that and said he would purchase the van then stop by my house to give me a $300.00 deposit, all of which he did.
    He asked if I could pick up the van and give it a good looking over since he honestly had no idea what he was even looking at let alone what to look ofr when he walked around it. Once he had this information he could then make his next move, whatever that may be.

I looked the van over and was not at all impressed. As I stated it did, start, run, and drive, but that's about it. Here is the list I sent him:

1.) There are no seat belts
    2.) Needs full exhaust
    3.) Needs 4 tires (fronts are needed immediately, rears hold air but are bald; + mounting/balancing)
    4.) Brake hoses are splitting apart
    5.) Front brakes need replacement
    6.) Rear brakes need replacement
    7.) Needs all 4 shocks replaced
    8.) Passenger side blinker assembly is broken and missing lens
    9.) Clutch release bearing is noisy
    10.) Clutch needs replacement
    11.) Choke is inoperable
    12.) King pins needs to be machined/bushed
    13.) Full tune-up
    14.) All fluids exchanged
    15.) Heater motor apart and lying in back seat (likely non functioning)
    16.) Heater core unhooked (likely needs replacement)
    17.) Engine has a miss (likely just needs points set and a full tune up)
    18.) Front leaf springs needs all new bushings
    19.) Rear leaf springs need all new bushings
    20.) Passenger side front sway bar end link is broken
    21.) Z-bar bushings are missing
    22.) Steering drag link needs replacement
    23.) Small leak in fuel tank
    24.) Valve cover gaskets are leaking and need replacement
    25.) Rear seat bracket made of wood and is not sturdy
    26.) Parking brake system does not function
    27.) Passenger side rear window clasp is broken
    28.) None of the 6 doors close correctly
    29.) Passenger side outside mirror broken

I also recommended that if he wanted to use the van often and for long trips like he intended, he check into an electronic ignition conversion, fixing the choke with an electronic unit, and retro fitting a dual reservoir master cylinder for safety sake.

Now I have no problem performing any or all the above work in a timely manner, however that isn't even touching the body yet. With all the mechanicals repaired the "buyer" is still left with a rusty turd of a van.
    This is why I recommended that he get would he could and walk away and stick his money into a more solid platform to start with.
    He agreed that was what he was looking for anyways since he wants to have the entire restored eventually (without spending a fortune making it reliable and having the body done. Not something that was just patched together floor boards to be drive-able, that isn't what he wants.
    I told him I would have no problem hauling it down there for him still, however we both agreed that it would be better off cutting his losses now with only his initial $800.00 investment, as opposed to sticking another $600.00 into getting it down to him.
    I agreed to send him the $300.00 deposit back and to help him sell it in whole or parts if that is what he chooses to do.
    I told him I am interested in it, but not for anywhere near $800.00. I also made it very clear that there was no pressure on him to sell it to me.
    I stated clearly that I will store it for him and list it on the Mopar & Van forums and Craigslist.org and the likes for as long as it takes if he is willing to wait for the right buyer to come along.

Sure you can skip a few things and get it "road ready" a little 'cheaper', however look over that list, 4 tires, new exhaust, new brakes, new clutch kit, re-bush the entire van, fix fuel tank leak, fix front suspension, and a ton of other tedious time consuming work like getting all the doors functioning again.
    I gave him the list and was willing to do as much or as little as he wanted me to. Being he had no mechanical experience what-so-ever and absolutely no tools at all he figured he'd rather someone like me do the work as I was going to give him a pretty steep one price fixes all kind of discount. Yeah he said he was going to do "little things", however his idea of "little things" are far different than what most think of on these forums. He was thinking changing fluids, spark splugs, and light bulbs, not quite the shocks, brake hoses, and bushings that come to the mind of the typical mechanical type. Yes he stated he wanted to learn, but wanted to do so on a much smaller scale and at a much slower pace.
    So this is where everyone is left....until I hear of his decision sometime today.

P.S. Thanks for the tip(s) on the roof. If I can find a buyer for it, I'm sure Bill (owner) would appreciate it!
    If I end up with the Van, I'll save the roof if there is interest in it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 am

Glad to help Daniel, and glad to see you over here.

I agree that a lot of the stuff is what I'd want on a 'driver', and that it can add up quick at a shop. I just wanted to get this out there to the vintage van guys and hopefully get the van on to a new home and the owner out from under a purchase he didn't think through.
    I think we have all had stars in our eyes at one time or another, and there is no sense piling on a guy who bought with his heart or a shop owner who was upfront about the realities of the situation before a dime was spent.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:59 am

that is a real shame that someone would spend money on somthing that he has no idea how to fix. (Dan) i have no dout looking at your list that those items needed addressed. most all these earlies in the north do. there just is not much money there to be made. .you showed the rims but even that has a very limited market. i don't think any one was trying to bash you. just assumed the owner could do more than wash the windshild...

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 pm

I have been in that boat and can understand the situation. I was simply offering up an idea if the time came to cut up/part out the van to try to recoup money back on the buyer's investment. I hope I didnt imply anything other than an idea of what I could use should that route become the most acceptable one to choose.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:23 pm

No harm, no foul guys. I just wanted everyone to be on the same page.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Thanks again!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 am

Update:

I just received a phone call from Bill who decided he would sell me the van and for $400.00. I told him that's a little light but he said he's comfortable with that price and appreciates all effort and honesty I put into the deal.

It's now time for all the potential buyers put up or shut up over the next few days. Whatever hasn't been sold by early next week will be in the scrap pile at A&L Iron and Metal.

I will check condition of the roof as that seems to be a sought after item.

What do you A-100 guys want off this thing?!? Cool
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am

Very good write-up Dan. That's the kind of info we wish folks would post more often. Detailed and honest! Been a long time since I left MQT!!!! (MSHS- Class of 1981). Smile

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Anyone near Marquette, Michigan ? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:54 am

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am interested in the drivers rear corner near the fuel filler neck. I would basically like the chunk from the belt line down, from the seam in front of the filler around to the door opening. Basically just cut the whole corner off so that I can disect it and use it to patch mine that has rusted through.

What do you think this would run me to have it cut off and what you would like out of it? Can you try to give me an approximate shipping quote to ZIP 83704. Biggest thing against me at the moment is I am out of the country until the 15th. If my wife accepts the deal I could probably get a paypal payment sent off before then and have you ship it to my grandparents house or someone else close by me.

Let me know.....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:25 pm

My wish list, provided they don't interfere with larger chunk sales. You can PM me with prices and shipping.

Steering wheel and horn button.
    Both front seats and all brackets.
    Lock and ignition switch set (keys?). (these can be a pain to remove, be careful with the door locks)
    full latch assembly from the front side cargo door. (These are a real pain to remove, and if the door sells, that's fine. If it' going to scrap, I want the latch!!!)
    Instructions here
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t12388-stripping-side-rear-doors

Again, I'd prefer that it goes on to a new owner, but if it's going to scrap, that's the want list.

There are a couple other items I'd really like (rear axle, gas tank), but shipping would kill.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for the compliments Dan, I graduated from MSHS in 1998. How is FL?

The only thing I want off this Van is the rear axle (mostly the 3rd member). Everything else is up for grabs.

I just made a deal to sell the engine to a buddy for $100.00 so it looks like its fate is set to being parted out...

MoparFreak69 wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post I am interested in the drivers rear corner near the fuel filler neck. I would basically like the chunk from the belt line down, from the seam in front of the filler around to the door opening. Basically just cut the whole corner off so that I can disect it and use it to patch mine that has rusted through.

Let me know.....
    I really do not think you (or anyone else) will want any body section off this van, but I'll get more detailed photos of the area you are looking for tomorrow. Maybe I am wrong, but I do not remember anything body wise being salvageable, especially for purchase + shipping. Maybe we'll be get lucky here.

RodStRace wrote:My wish list, provided they don't interfere with larger chunk sales.

Steering wheel and horn button.
    Both front seats and all brackets.
    Lock and ignition switch set (keys?).
    full latch assembly from the front side cargo door.
    There are a couple other items I'd really like (rear axle, gas tank), but shipping would kill.

You can PM me with prices and shipping.
    Other than the axle, everything else on your list is yours pending a quick quality control check. I'll have to make sure everything on your list is there or functional before we start negotiating.
    You have a PM coming! Smile

I'll be extremely fair with pricing on this stuff. I'd rather see it get used than crushed.
    That being said I really do not want a half empty Van carcuss (would that be vancuss?) sitting around on my trailer either.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:56 am

Update:

The van is a 1966.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:30 am

No problem, in the pictures you posted on Moparts I see there is something in that corner but from the photos it looks to be body damage vs rusting. Could be an illusion though. Mine is rusted completely though in a spot the size of a silver dollar and is surely not far along in quite a few more areas. I agree though if its only slightly marginally better than what I have no use spending $50 to ship it here.
    Only other thing I could think of that would be nice to have is the front axle. I am going to try to drop my own and it would be nice to have a back-up in case I screw something up/want to return it to stock. Shipping would probably be horrendous on that thing though.

How is the steering gear in it? I know they are pretty rare and there is always someone looking for one somewhere.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Hey Ben, Shoot me a pic of what your looking for on the back corner, I did save some skin off that 66 van I scrapped, might have what ya need also if the other is to rusty, I also have a front axle stripped down to the beam and spindles I can hang onto for awhile just in case. lol
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I would be interested in the linkage set up from the carb to the gas pedle.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

the headlight rings the belly pan the push out windows and washer bottle and door handles if good are things to remove...

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:52 pm

The section of the rear body is cooked well beyond use.

MoparFreak69 wrote:Only other thing I could think of that would be nice to have is the front axle.
    I sure would love to sell someone that front axle in one form or another...

MoparFreak69 wrote:How is the steering gear in it? I know they are pretty rare and there is always someone looking for one somewhere.
    I do not really know, but I'll check it.

dix wrote:I would be interested in the linkage set up from the carb to the gas pedle.
    I'll make sure it's correct and not some rigged piece.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Even the wheel cylinders are hard to find for these, if they are in rebuildable shape might be worth setting aside.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 pm

some one on this site was looking for 11inch backing plates.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Also i am interested in the brackets that go from the frame to the motor mounts.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:16 pm

dix wrote:Also i am interested in the brackets that go from the frame to the motor mounts.
    I'll check them out and let you know tomorrow.

I guess I better make a list...

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks Digz, I will try to get a pic sent off showing the panel I am looking for a bit later.

Looks like a pretty good list is forming. I am glad to see everybody jumping in and claiming/indicating useful rare parts that would otherwise end up in some plant in China making god knows what cheezy item they stamp out in millions.

I do know Chev and Ford guys like to use the Dodge Doghouse for their V8 conversions. Might be a place to ship that off to.
    Is there a battery box cover left on it? I dont have one at all. Actually my battery box base is pretty rusty, whats the condition of that as well?

How does the nose of the van look? I know a lot of them (mine included) get bashed up pretty badly over the years. Even if there is a little bit of rust on it it may be a good thing to cut off and try to sell to someone
    who lives close to you.

*edit* Oh yeah, Antenna mast and wiper arms. I'll claim those. I do need the nuts for the wiper arms as well.

Last edited by MoparFreak69 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added thought)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm