VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
econopoor
mark-t
econolineherb
vanny
larrytech1
Casimier
Big W
EconoCarl
Linoman
13 posters

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner

mark-t
    mark-t

Number of posts : 185
    Registration date : 2013-09-16

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Empty Re: Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner

Post by mark-t Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm

dulcimerbob wrote:What's the advantage to changing to a paper filter other than convenience?
    don't have to worry about spilling the oil every time you remove the air cleaner
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Empty Re: Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner

Post by uante Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I started my conversion and noticed my air cleaner is a bit different. I cut the center part out and got the filter material out, but still have to cut the final wall down.

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Filter10
    Bottom piece

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Filter11
    Top piece. No air inlet arm like the one in the pictures on page one of this thread...my top piece is just bigger than the bottom and sits on a spacing post to allow air in.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Finished my air cleaner conversion. I'm glad I found this thread...Good Idea!

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Air510
    First cut and final cut then cleaning

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Air410
    Finished with filter

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:03 am

Uante, how is it running with this setup?
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:57 am

The engine runs great, no problems associated with this conversion for me. Manual choke works as designed.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 am

Thanks Brent, I just went through your post about your van. Very nice!

I just did the same to my air cleaner. Was a bit worried that it wouldn't get enough air since the gap is so narrow..
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:34 am

Yeah it is a bit narrow, I forgot about that. But it seems to run just as well as when I was driving around with nothing on the carb at all. Besides it must have been a little restictive anyway pulling air through that old oil filled filter setup
    slinky52
    slinky52

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2013-05-18

Post by slinky52 Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 am

uante wrote:Yeah it is a bit narrow, I forgot about that. But it seems to run just as well as when I was driving around with nothing on the carb at all. Besides it must have been a little restictive anyway pulling air through that old oil filled filter setup

uante, what filter did you use, the same as the others????
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 am

slinky52 wrote:
    uante wrote:Yeah it is a bit narrow, I forgot about that. But it seems to run just as well as when I was driving around with nothing on the carb at all. Besides it must have been a little restictive anyway pulling air through that old oil filled filter setup

uante, what filter did you use, the same as the others????

I thought I had put the size filter in this thread, but I guess I didn't. I can look when I get home. I just took the container into Autozone and we found one that fit. I think I still have the box with number.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:46 am

Here's what I used, WIX 42055.

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 100_5018
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:17 pm

I did this mod, but added a twist. Concerned about the tight spacing around the filter, I trimmed the bottom piece about an inch up from the bottom, where the original housing  flared outward. I don't know if it made a dramatic improvement, but it does provide more space around the filter.

I also installed a Carter YFA carb on my 240, and had to add a larger diameter and shorter downspout that matches the throat size and height of the Carter.

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Mod_re11

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Bottom12

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Wide_t11

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Mounte12
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Finally found my old Air Filter box, I used a STP SA148

Converting Oil Bath Air Cleaner - Page 2 Filter11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am