VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
pittsdriver
white-lightning
EconoCarl
Rayallen
Vanish
G-Man
sasktrini
66e100pu
12 posters

Dash Adventure

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Dash Adventure - Page 2 Empty Re: Dash Adventure

Post by sasktrini Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 am

Nice! I love it!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

Man that looks nice! Need to get myself a dash skirt. Give it a finished look.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 am

I looked at the date of my last post on the A/C and I’m trying to figure out where the time went! Just this past weekend I finally got around to fabricating the condenser mounting brackets because ‘ol So-Cal is starting to heat up. I didn’t want to weld angle iron from the frame to the inner rocker panel, so I used some 1/8” flat stock and .065 wall ½” square tubing. It let me mount the unit at a 45 degree angle, and it’s easy to remove for any future serviceability issues that may come up. It made for a clean install that is rock solid. I just ordered all the hose and fittings, so if and when I ever get this finished I’ll post the details.
    Jim
    So-Cal
    Dash Adventure - Page 2 Dscn0520
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

Still plugging away at getting all the lines made, but still not done. One of the things I had to resolve was the interior heat load generated by the doghouse lid. Not much good having A/C if you’re sitting next to a toaster oven.

When I redid my doghouse, I lined the interior panels with Fat Mat. Nice stuff for sound absorption, but worthless as a heat barrier. I found a vendor on ebay a while back that has what looked like just the ticket, but the cost is up there. You can find it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMOTIVE-HEAT-SHIELD-SOUND-INSULATION-BARRIER-21x48-/251115951012?hash=item3a77ad53a4&item=251115951012&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I finally stepped-up in desperation and ordered a 21” x 48” piece to see if it would work. After the install the lid went from being able to fry an egg on it, to cold to the touch! I know there are many cheaper methods out there, and over the years I’ve tried just about all of them, but if you have an area where you really need to kill the heat, this will get it done. This stuff is a little hard to cut – you need just the right angle of attack with a pair of tin snips. Once you find the sweet spot, it goes pretty easy. The 21”x 48” does the underside of the lid with very little excess. It covers about the same area as the factory insulation did. It’s also self-adhesive, and once you stick it, it’s stuck down good.

Dash Adventure - Page 2 Dscn0610
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Sometimes there not a cheap fix and your better off spending more once than doing it cheap many times. Looks Great
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

Very nice. Will have to keep an eye out for this stuff.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 am

AWESOME looking setup my friend! It DEFINITELY looks like you're doing it right! Smile -GothY-
    bobby light
    bobby light

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2014-09-13

Post by bobby light Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am

What steering wheel did you use? Looks great!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm