VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
RodStRace
DanTheVanMan
oo3
7 posters

welding ot sorta

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

welding ot sorta Empty welding ot sorta

Post by oo3 Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:01 pm

is welding and vans ever really off topic?! - so i start a new job this week - in the warehouse i spotted a millermatic dvi and a lincoln ac225 - am told they dont get used a lot but i will have the opportunity to learn to weld - at some point i need to make some iron railing for my porch/deck - and i also would like to do some bicycle mods etc - what type welder would one use for such projects -are the ones i have on hand capable - thanks - oo3
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

welding ot sorta Empty Re: welding ot sorta

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm

oo3,
    Sounds like the jobs your looking to do are all fairly small. I'd bet for what your talking about doing that a small to mid range MIG welder could do just about everything you mentioned and work great on most all van related repairs.

Here's the one I have and use for most all my light work from most all my van work to making gates and brackets for everything I do...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434915_200434915?cm_ite=167746&cm_pla=Welding%3EWirefeed%20Welders&cm_cat=Google&cm_ven=Aggregates

Have a nice mid-range Lincoln stick welder as well but very seldom really need it.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

welding ot sorta Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Learn to weld with BOTH!
    Then you will know what you need for the job at hand.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:09 pm

welding ot sorta Eastwo10

Enlarge product image

.MIG Welder 110VAC/ 135A Output
    Item #12011

In Stock - Ready to Ship Today

Only $339.99

Built for professional use-priced for your home shop!
    •Operates on standard 110V AC 20 Amp circuits
    •20% duty cycle at 90 Amp
    •Capable of welding mild or stainless steel
    •Infinite voltage and wire speed combination's
    •Tweco style gun and consumables
    •Eastwood welders match the quality of top U.S. industry leaders in both weld penetration and wire feed motor functionality
    •High end thermal overload switch
    •Switchable drive roller to run small gauge solid wire or thicker solid or flux cored wire
    •Welds 24 gauge 1/4”steel
    •8' ground cable and gun cable
    •Includes: one roll of .023 steel mig wire,
    gas regulator, wire brush, welding face shield, extra tips, tip wrench and instructions
    •3 Year “No Hassle” Warranty

Dan,

Which one do you think is better? The one above or the Lincoln you mentioned? I am also looking to find an entry level welder. Do know much about them but figure the mig is a good place to start to learn
    thx
    Donn
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:17 pm

I can't say for sure but that eastwood looks an awful lot like a Lincoln. maybe shorter leads, i had a 135 Lincoln that got ripped off, adjustments are the same to. It'd be alot more coin if it was red,,lol
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Being a really Cheap SOG= i bought & use a harbor frt- 110 volt mig on all my body stuff - was 98 bucks . Ive been happy with it -Just picked uop an old lincoln stick ac/dc welder for free= all ill ever need.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey 003,
    Welding goes with anything metal and motorized imho. What you need is a low voltage(house power 120v) M.I.G. welder, also known as wire feed welder, or more acurately M.G.A.W. If you are welding thin gauge steel like van bodys, this would be best to start and learn with. The mig type welder shoots out an electrofied wire, allowing you to hold the torch with both hands (unlike tig). Any inexpensive base model by a well known brand. Miller, lincoln, esab, htp, the lit goes on. Common ones are well made and parts are available. I would earge you not to buy a cheap chineese factory one(harbour freight!!). Spend the extra hundred on a deccent machine. You will be much happier in the long run. Keep in mind, welders are priced by how deep they can penatrate, and how long they can run for. 220v alows you to weld structual applications with deep penetration. You don't need to invest a lot, infact you should craigslist one if you can. Also buy an auto darkening hood. Dosen't have to be a great one. Like a $50 one. Speeds up the learning curve a bit. Watch some you tube video's and go to miller's website. Those resources will be verry helpful to get started. Hope this helps.
    Have fun and be safe.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Oops!! Just re-read your post. The Miller DVI is a great machine. It's a millermatic with dual voltage option. 120 or 220. Just gotta switch out the plug. 220v with the mig would be best for your iron fencing. Would also be a good stick welding project. Stick is only good for welding thick stuff. Mig is better for thin, and general purpose.
    oo3

Post by oo3 Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 pm

maybe i should have said in first post i will have full access to both machines - so i wont have to buy one myself - i did already down load the miller manual - i will watch some youtube vids - one of the guys will give me instruction also - we have 220 also - thanks - oo3
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 am

To me the AC "buzz box" would be better for anything 1/4" and larger steel, we have went to all DC but its somewhat the same, an advantage of the stick , you can buy smaller amounts of special rod for certain projects like stainless steel and such without buying a whole spool of wire. also you can gain some strength with the stick by the flux coating and the weld cooling times. lots of options but the biggest advantage of the MIG is speed. There's a lot more than just that , just play with it . JM2C
    oo3

Post by oo3 Sat May 14, 2011 5:15 am

had a chance to use the stick welder this last week - this is going to need much more practice ! - 1, trying to get used to seeing thru the helmet , we dont have an auto dark one yet - 2 - trying to strike an arc without it sticking - did manage to get some decent welds but more ugly ones - oo3
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 am

Im sure other more expert guys might know more, but for practice Id start with a 6013 or a 7014 1/8" rod, adjust your amp range up maybe to help with starting the weld and work your way down from there, drag the rod to start the arc, not always possible of course, and have clean metal to work with. And get yourself an auto helmet if you can,, they just make things so much easier.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 am

Wookee

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by Wookee Thu May 19, 2011 9:24 am

oo3 wrote:is welding and vans ever really off topic?! - so i start a new job this week - in the warehouse i spotted a millermatic dvi and a lincoln ac225 - am told they dont get used a lot but i will have the opportunity to learn to weld -
    what type welder would one use for such projects -
    are the ones i have on hand capable - thanks - oo3

most people are farmilar with mig machines.Some of the older stick machines have been forgotten about.
    the AC lincoln is an example of this.
    An AC machine is only really good for mild steel wire like 6011.Low hydragen wire like 7018 will not run tight.It sticks bad and just does not run well at all.
    For low hydrogen wire you need a DC stick machine.
    the AC machine will run a smaller 6011 or 6013 wire pretty good a smaller rod size like 3/32 3/32's will run light sheet metal at a lower temp setting.
    a larger rod size like 1/8 will run heaver steel good also. 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

Welding unlike a computer where you can read directions and figure things out.Takes practice.the more you do the more you learn.in turn the better you get .

.........Wookee
    oo3

Post by oo3 Fri May 20, 2011 2:47 pm

welding ot sorta DSCN2046
    right now we are making frames for lite displays - i designed and made this one - welds aint pretty but so far are holding ! we beat some with hammers to test - dont know if we are using the right setting on the lincoln ( ac225) - we have the 6011 1/8 rods - the steel rods for the frame may be 1/4 and 5/32 ? ( i am at home now) - what setting do yous experienced think would be right -i have read some info from the manufacturers sites and the one rod linked to - i can only read so much at one time though - i find it helps to go make some mistakes then read and figure out what was wrong - oo3
    oo3

Post by oo3 Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 am

when in doubt ask a manufacturers tech rep - i am told the rule is 1 amp per 1/1000 " of the stick/electrode you are using - so the 3/32 stick = .093 = 93 amps or in this case the 90 amp setting - we had used a colder setting - man it is much easier to start an arc and not have it stick - its funny - here i am listening to the other guys at work who are either also new to welding or only occasionally weld - and i am the only one who takes the time to read a manual or do some research - then they want to dispute what the manufacturers rep - who has done this for 40 years - says ! - oo3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 am