VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Steering Wheel material???? Molded plastic????

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Steering Wheel material????  Molded plastic???? Empty Steering Wheel material???? Molded plastic????

Post by cculella Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:41 am

I am getting my steering wheel powder coated, but before that, I decided to have the cracks welded up to make it look like new. I heard back from the welder and they said it is molded plastic. MOLDED PLASTIC??!!?? It sure feels like cast aluminum to me.

Do any of know what kind of material the steering wheel is made from? Do I need to call the welder back and tell him he's stupid? If it's molded plastic, then it can't be powder coated. I don't think molded plastic would have lasted this long without snapping, especially without power steering. You really got to put some torque on that wheel and its awfully thin. Thanks for any answers.

- Charlie
    1965 Chevy Panel van
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Steering Wheel material????  Molded plastic???? Empty Re: Steering Wheel material???? Molded plastic????

Post by 63chevyvan? Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:50 am

I think it's molded plastic over a metal frame.

bowtied
    bowtied

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-04-13

Steering Wheel material????  Molded plastic???? Empty Re: Steering Wheel material???? Molded plastic????

Post by bowtied Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:02 am

It is molded plastic. My 66 has the orig. wheel, no cracks and no power steering. I restore wheels using epoxy for the cracks, then smoothing with plastic filler and then painting.

Jerry
    cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Post by cculella Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 am

Jerry -

Do you have a type/brand of epoxy you use for the cracks? Any kind of plastic filler? Does the paint hold up fairly well to normal use without cracking again? I'm bummed that I can't get it powder coated, especially since it was going to be free.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am

Jerry,

Do you restore them for yourself, or is this something you do for other people / cash? What's the price for having an original van wheel restored?
    bowtied
    bowtied

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-04-13

Post by bowtied Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am

I do restore and sell on ebay. It all depends on the wheel but average costs are $150+materials. Materials don't amount to much unless it's a color other than black, then the least amount of paint my jobber will mix is a pint and that can run up to $60.

Jerry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am