VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak..

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Empty new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak..

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey guys,
    I recently bought a 1966, 240 cid, window van with 25.500 miles on it. I'm the third owner. It's been working for Delta Airlines (airport) for most of it's hard life, perhaps that explains the low mileage.
    Fun to drive but it leaks oil. Replaced the oil pan seal and it still drips. A friend suggested it's the rear main seal after looking at it.
    I'm a complete newb to fords so I have a couple of questions.

-what's the order of procedure to remove engine?
    -should I replace the crankshaft rear main seal also?

I don't have a shop manual yet but someone with experience to help.

Thanks Smile
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Empty Re: new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak..

Post by savage Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Econorat, Welcome to the site. Not a Ford guy ,but hopefully one will answer you question soon.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Empty Re: new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak..

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:51 pm

Make sure you take a paper towel and wipe around the back of the Valve Cover to see if you find any oil back there. Sometimes the gasket up there leaks and it runs all the way down to the rear main seal area,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Some guys might laugh , but I have had some success with that seal restorer stuff ya add to the engine oil, I ressurected a cougar that had been sitting for a couple years once and it dried the rear main up ok, It might just depend on what kind of damage it is. Good luck and welcome.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Cool, I'll check the valve cover.

Any ideas where to screw the chains on to lift the engine?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Welcone to the site!!!Where are you from???

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks, I'm in Knoxville, TN.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 pm

go back to your profile and put your location in. It helps with finding parts from local vanners.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm

how about some pics of your ecorater and welcome to the best site for vintage
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm

we love pictures!!!

Post by Guest Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:20 pm

[img]new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Delta10[/img]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Wow!!! very solid van. Thanks for the picture.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 pm

The outside is pretty rough, lots of bondo and layers of paint.
    Inside it's clean, very little rust, everything functions as should be except the horn.
    It's got front disk brakes and we installed a new oil pressure gauge now.
    Previous owner installed a C6 trans, 9" rear, lowered front, airbags on rear.. no rear shocks, compressor and tank is bolted to the bottom under where the delta sticker is. Switches turn the compressor on or you fill it up at the gas station, another switch raises and lowers the rear.
    Pretty cool, coming in slow, rear high up rake style, stop the van and drop it down until the rear wheel tucks in more than in pic.
    Compression test today: 150 on all but #1 has 145 psi Smile
    Removed engine and put on stand but I'm too tired to change seal and fix minor stuff.
    Will see tomorrow how it goes with the seal. It's definately leaking there and at the rod covers left side.

More pics soon
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:57 am

Did they flip the front springs to lower that?? Does it still have all the leaf springs on rear??

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 pm

front and rear have both three leafes attached the rest is just disconnected.

Out of curiousity I took off the main bearing and rod bearing caps, didn't look good Sad
    Pretty worn out, the crank needs to be machined, it was already machined 30 under so I'm going to order a crank kit to get the bottom rebuilt.

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Dsc_2110

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Dsc_2112

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:20 pm

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Dsc_2111

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:21 pm

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Dsc_2113

new econoline owner, new rear main seal leak.. Dsc_2114

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm