VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Front brake backing plate

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Front brake backing plate Empty Front brake backing plate

Post by veefre Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:08 am

Looking for a backing plate for '67 chevy van... 9.5 inch front right drum brakes. Probably will need the left hand one as well.

Napa and Autozone don't have it... probably will have to hit the local salvage yards next.

Or do a disc brake conversion.

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Front brake backing plate Empty Re: Front brake backing plate

Post by Scott Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey Veefre,

What all are you wanting me to send?

Once I get my Disc Brackets I wont need the backing plates, drums, shoes, or anything else in there, except the hub. You can have it all for the cost of shipping, just let me know what all you want. I’m not going to need any of it, but don’t know what all you want to pay to have shipped. If you want I can strip everything down to the plate, or just box the whole thing. You probably won’t want to use the wheel cylinder, or springs.

It would probably be cheapest to ship by USPS, unless you want it shipped by someone else.

I do need to keep the hub as the M1Dadio / TransAm Disc conversion requires me to use the old hub.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:46 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks!

What my van needs is just the backing plates, the pivot bolts, and the spacersbetween the pivot bolt and the front of the backing plates for both left and right wheels. I don't need the hubs or drums or shoes. The rest on this car was renewed fairly recently, so the wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, etc all look good (or I can get from stores).

I'll send you a private message with my address and payment info.

Any idea when the brackets will arrive?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:41 am

Thats a good question,

Has anyone gotten an update from Leadfoot as to when we will get these brackets ordered back in April?

My van has gotten pretty dusty waiting for its brake converstion to be finished..
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm continuing the discussion of brake backing plates over here... seems most appropriate.

As you may know, I got some backing plates off a van in a local yard here this week. After I cleaned them up and removed the anchor bolts, I noticed that one of the '64 backing plates (passenger side) shows signs of failure similar to what has happened to my van's original backing plates: stress crack developing above the anchor pivot bolt; spacer pulled away from the spot weld to the left of the anchor pivot bolt.

I'm thinking this backing plate is a poor design, not intended to last more than ten or twenty years.

I"m going to try to spot weld the spacer back into position and install the backing plate so I can drive the van short, slow distances until I can get a sound plate and/or convert over to disc brakes.

My advice: If your early Chevy van has front drum brakes, inspect the backing plates carefully around the anchor pivot bolt. If it shows any signs of cracking or the spacer plate pulling away from the backing plate, repair/replace/ugrade.

Update: I bead blasted the plate with the problem, and then used my spot welder to re-fasten the spacer back to the backing plate. It took several tries as the spacer is pretty thick and my spot welder is just a 220 single phase job. The first couple of times the plates sprung apart as soon as I removed the C-clamp. Then when I though I had it, I was able to pry them apart with a screwdriver. Finally I got everything real hot and it doesn't seem to be coming apart with nudging. Probably I should take the plate to a welder and have him lay a mig or tig bead around the upper edge of the spacer.

At this point, after bead blasting the plate, it doesn't look like the stress crack is through the backing plate. It might just be some surface cracking from the stamping process on one side (back side) and some metal ridging from the stamping process on the other side (front side). But the fact that one of the spot welds gave out and the spacer was lifting away from the backing plate was cause for concern. What I've seen on my original plates is that this lifting forces the brake shoes outward, as well as weakening the backing plate.

Anyway, off to find new lock washers... the anchor bolt is a biggie - 5/8" I think....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:27 pm

It does not seem like that guide plate is welded to the backing plate,,,just pressed on with 4 dowel pins,,,,,and the anchor bolt holds it on,,,,,,can you take your broken one off and tear it apart to see how it all fits together by removing that guide plate??? maybe you need to remove that piece to weld up the backing plate correctly,,,,,

Front brake backing plate Repair19

Front brake backing plate Repair20
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:01 pm

You need to bead blast the cleaned plate to see the spot welds. It's evident from the rear of the plate - a little puddling of the metal is about all you see. On the other side, on the spacer, or guide plate, there are depressions that might look like dowel pin holes but they are not.

There are two dowel pins per plate, and two spot welds.

I am quite sure of this.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Then a little grinding in back will let that guide plate come off,,,,and you would get a clean shot at the backing plate,,,,,,there could be rust in there,,,,you cant weld up cracks,,,,you need to cut it open to about .040 so the weld can penetrate,,,,but this is good repair information,,,,better than reading it off your obituary,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:15 pm

I would not want to grind into the backing plate since that is the weak link in this whole assembly.

I bead blasted the entire part, and was able to direct the blast into the gap between the guide plate and the backing plate at the failed spot weld. I could actually see a little domed protrusion from the guide plate that matched a depression in the backing plate. It was no more than 1/16" long. I then ran a thin diamond file (a nail file to be exact, the only file I have that is thin enough to slip into the gap) to make sure there was a good contact surface. Then the aforementioned spot weld.

Other than for forensic purposes, I'm not inclined to try to tear down the plate I'm planning to install in the vehicle. Right now I'm in the middle of power coating the backing plates. First time at that, it's interesting to say the least. But the result should be pretty good. And much quicker than regular painting.

Probably won't get to fixing the van brakes today. Too much time spent bead blasting, spot welding, powder coating.

Dont' worry, I'm going to keep a close eye on that backing plate and at the first sign of stress cracking I'll be parking the vehicle. I'm also investigating a disc brake upgrade using camaro hubs/rotors/calipers. Comes with the brackets, bearings etc. My guess is that as long as the spot welds hold, the guide plate strengthens the backing plate where the anchor bolt attaches. Once the welds fail, then I think the stress cracking starts and eventually the anchor bolt fails with rather unpleasant results.
    veefre
    veefre

Front brake backing plate Empty Before and after

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Before...,

Front brake backing plate P1000113

Front brake backing plate P1000114

After red powder coating....,

Front brake backing plate P1000210
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:16 pm

That looks great..

So whats it take to do the powder coating?
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:06 pm

I got the powder coating kit and paint from Harbor Freight. And I have a spare electric range (neighbor was tossing it) that I fixed up and put in the workshop. The powder cures at 400F, which is within the capabilty of the range.

You attach a 10 to 30 psi compressed air hose to the gun, then attach a ground clamp to the part, and then spritz the part with the powder. It seems to work best in bursts. A fair amount gets airborne but drops quickly to the floor (or top of your shoes). It sticks pretty well, long enough to get the part into the oven for about 25 minutes. It's not difficult but of course you're dealing with high voltage, and high temps, so a little common sense is required. Surprisingly I was able to do it ;-)
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:44 am

Niceeee!
    B.W.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:17 am

Does anybody know why the 1st(R pic) BP has a extra piece metal on the bottom of it, or is the other one just gone??? Better go look at mine
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:04 am

The extra piece of metal is a "dust guard" which I imagine is supposed to help keep road dust out of the drum. It's on the back of both backing plates, just harder to see from the front.

Apparently some GM drum brake backing plates have the dust guard, others don't. Some have bigger ones that that pictured, called the "extended dust guard".

I would rather if GM had spent the money and material on beefing up the backing plate around the anchor bolt attachment at the top ;-).
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:29 am

My brake brackets showed yesterday, can't wait to get them put on.. Very Happy

I’ll try to pry myself away long enough to get your backing plates ready to go.

Front brake backing plate Dsc04411
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Here’s a picture of what I’m shipping tomorrow,

Guess you can call this a teaser..

Front brake backing plate Dsc04412
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks, Scott!

The backing plates look quite clean, thanks.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:40 am

I hit them real quick with a wire brush in my drill, was looking for cracks. I'm sure the crack your looking for is under that plate, I didnt go there.

It was getting kinda late last night and figured I better just get them packed-up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 am

The cracks would be on the back side,,,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 pm

The crack is on both the front and back. It's actually easier to see on the front, just above the center of the guide plate. It's on what is probably the weakest area of the backing plate, because it's the deepest draw during the stamping process. So the material would tend to be thinnest and/or most stressed in that area. At least that's what I've seen and figured.

Scott, did you get my pm? UPS @ $15 is fine with me.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 pm

PS-wire brush is a good idea. I cleaned mine with engine cleaner, and then soaked them in Biosolve, then hand wire brushed. But it still took a long time to bead blast the tar and rust off the junked ones. Even then I couldn't get all the rust out of the pits. My compressor can't keep up with the bead blasting so that made things take a bit longer as well. I wound up powder coating and curing one while I bead blasted the other.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:19 am

Scott,

Got the backing plates Friday. Thanks a lot!

They look identical to the '64 plates, except of course they're in much better shape. I'll be bead blasting and powder coating them today. Then, weather permitting, installing them on the van today or tomorrow (there isn't enough room in the carport to jack up the van and work on the front end... the roof would hit the carport beams, I think...)
    veefre
    veefre

Front brake backing plate Empty Brake Dyslexia

Post by veefre Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Well, I bead blasted Scott's backing plates today (things sped up once I hooked up a different, more powerful compressor with water trap). Then as I got ready to powder coat them, I decided to stamp them with a "P" and a "D" so I'd know which goes on which side. I'd bead blasted off Scott's markings but I figured I'd just match them up to the '64 backing plates, which I know which side is which.

Wrong...

Turns out there is a subtle difference between the '68 and the '64 plates. I think Donivan alluded to this before as a difference between the 1st and 2nd gen backing plates. Fortunately Scott posted photos with his "P" and "D" markings clearly visible here. It looks like the difference is that in the '64 backing plates, the hole for the tail end of the steering stop is on the side of the spindle opposite from the brake cylinder relief notch. On the '68 backing plates, the steering stop hole is on the SAME side as the brake cylinder relief notch. This means the '64 brake cylinders will not fit the '68 backing plates unless I drill out an extra steering stop hole. Which wouldn't be difficult at all, but I'd rather not add another hole to the plates if I can avoid it.

What I can't recall is what the '67 backing plates (currently on the van) look like, and if the master cylinders are different from the ones I got off the '64. I guess I'll find that out when I back the van up a bit, raise the front, and remove the wheels. Or I could consult the photos I took of the failed passenger side backing plate and hope that sheds some light on the matter...

While inspecting the driver's side of the van, I discovered a new problem. The steering stop bolt is bent, so that it doesn't hit the stop on the spindle properly. This might explain the clunking I would occasionally hear if I bottomed out the suspension on a tight left hand turn. Probably the bolt hitting something it wasn't designed to hit. It did make for a very tight turning radius though :-).

After I printed out Scott's photos, and compared them to the photos I took of the back of the passenger side backing plate still on the van, it appears that the '68 plates are different from the '67 ones as well. This means that if I want to use the '68 plates, I'll either have to adjust the steering stop bolt so that it doesn't protrude from the spindle, or drill out the '68 plates to accomodate the steering stop bolt. In any case it appears that the system was set up to have the brake hose lead to the rear, and I don't want to change that if I can help it. It just so happens I have some extra spindles from the '64 junker so I can use them as a template to drill out the '68 plates to accomodate the steering stop bolt. I don't think it will weaken the plates in any meaningful way, and I'd rather have it done before I powder coat the plates...

Why Chevy made this change between '67 and '68? Don't know. Maybe the brake lines led to the front of the vehicle for that year? In any case it's not a simple matter of 1st generation vs. 2nd generation backing plates... unless like with the red/vlue bowties, Chevy slapped on whatever front brakes they had in stock at the time of manufacture. So perhaps my '67 is an early production model and it got 1st gen front brakes. ..

Last edited by veefre on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Scott's '68 backing plates with extra steering stop holes and yellow powder coat... I think these will brighten things up under the axle...

Front brake backing plate P1000211

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am