VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
m1dadio
donivan65
DanTheVanMan
7 posters

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans?

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans? Empty What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 am

I'm kind of thinking about buying a 67 but the only way I could justify having another van is if I used it as a dayly driver. So if anyone has a ruff Idea that would be really cool.

Thanks,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans? Empty Re: What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans?

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 am

First KIllakans, Welcome to the site.

You can "Search" the forums for topic's you have questions on and find most of what you need.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/search

Try these threads and hopefully answer your questions.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t19813-improving-gas-mileage?highlight=Mileage

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t10766-gas-mileage-question?highlight=Mileage

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t3569-mileage-for-a-240?highlight=Mileage

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans? Empty Re: What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans?

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:50 pm

The rear end ratio, (3:36, 3:73 or 4:11) and tire size are the determining factors on mileage,,,,,all transmissions are direct drive in high gear, so installing an overdrive transmission such as a 2004R or 700R4 would help mileage. And if you carry a lot of stuff that lowers it. I have a 3:36 rear end in my 65, 250 cu in, 6 cylinder, and 15" tires,,,,,,I get about 16mpg in the mountains.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks alot for responding to my question. I think that 16mpg is really good. I dont think I'm getting that out of my work van know.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 pm

In one word, BAD gas milage.

Thats why i went to a fuel inj V8 with a 700R4

M1D
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:10 pm

What do you figure your getting with that engine setup M1?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm

I have a 3:36 rear end in my 65, 250 cu in, 6 cylinder, and 15" tires just like Donivan and I get around 18mpg here at sea level if I stay off the pedal....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What kind of gas milage are you guys get out of the strait 6 with a standard trans? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm

I havn't dothered to calculate it but I can tall you it is much better then the old six with the carboretor that flushed fuel like a toilet bowl. and I would have to keep it on the floor to get 55mph out of it.

The V8 hardly has to do any work to move the van and the 700R4 has such close ratio gears the engine never has to work.
    On the highway at 60mph with the TCC ingaged the cruise rpm comes down to 1750 rpm with a 3.42:1 rear gear.

Of course I can get real bad milage buy doing burn outs and hauling a$$ on the highway. Like the last road trip where the van was completly filled with another stripped van. Must of been 1/2 to 3/4 ton load and on that 8 hr drive over the mountains averaging 75MPH . not less then 60 up hill and closer to 100 down hill I think I clocked in at about 13MPG.

I don't ever bother with gas mileage because I only use my van for fun.

M1D
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah im not to mileage concerned ,was just curious ,, I know the last time I checked on a long run I got 13mpg and that was a really bad headwind on half of it. carbed 350/700 with 4:11s, my old 65 GMC i had in high school was doing good to get 15 with a 230 3 spd /3:36 gears. Im not sure if gas was up to .50 a gallon then or not ,,so didnt care then either ,,lol
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 pm

And the stuff they pass off as gas now a days, makes a difference,,,,,,,it's not all the same,,,,,,,so there are a lot of variables,,,,,but you need to be going down the road WITH the engine operating at it's most efficient RPM,,,,,,,whatever that may be,,,,,,, the carb main jet and the distributor advances effect the efficiency of the engine,,,,,,,you could throw a 700R4 overdrive transmission on your van , but if you got a high rear end ratio and large tires, it's possible that you would get lower mileage than you started off with,,,,,,,your drivetrain needs to work together, and be kind of a matched set........
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 am

What Don said.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Lets see if someone can verify that the 700R4/2004R is the mileage champ. These are overdrive Transmissions,,,,,,,instead of the 1:1 direct drive ratio where the driveshaft turns the same RPMS of the engine,,,,,,it lowers the ratio to .7:1. HOWEVER,,,,,what's after the driveshaft makes a big difference. So lets compare my van to my Buddy Dave's,,,,we both got 250 cu in 6 cylinder Chevy engines. Then we go differently,,,,,he has a 700R4 with a 4:11 rear end and 14" tires. I have a 3 speed, 3:36 rear end,,,,15" tires. So my question is,,,,,who stops for gas 1st???? The information is the 205/70R14 tires are 25.3 high which is 79.5 in circumference,,,,,the 205/70R15 tires are 26.3 in height, 82.6 in circumference. This would mean the 14's turn 797 times a mile while my 15's turn 767 times. So thats my question, does a 3 speed with a 3:36 and 15" tires go farther than a 700R4 with a 4:11 and 14" tires with everything else being equal? So break out the formula,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

not comparing apples to apples here ?? All must be equal for a comparison- the 14 " tires will roll further+ highre rpm's & further distance traveled - until High gear -and then in od for a 30% reduction?/-- 15's not so far= and in 1-1 ratio=also slipage with the torque converter?? v/s clutch?/ Must compare apples to apples and at what weighte are each van- same type carbs,Ign, see where im leading to?? Just thinking & comparing??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:48 pm

The idea is to see if you really get your moneys worth with a $2500 upgrade to a 700R4 0r 2004R. And we are saying that IF all things are equal,,,
    does that overdrive get better mileage with its 4:11 and 14" tires than the 3 speed with a higher geared rear end and bigger tires,,,,, Like a G-20, SportVan Deluxe 108 would be at a disadvantage because of all that glass and seats,,,,,it has a lot of weight to haul around especially carrying people,,,,,,So don't expect SportVans to have the best mileage ratings of our vans. And what about a 64 Chevy Van with the 4 cylinder, powerglide, 4:11 rear end and 13" tires,,,,,,,it don't get much worst than that. My point is to prove that there are many factors in determining gas mileage and what improvements you can make to increase it. I like to be the 1st one off the line at each stop light and feel my head hit the headrest when I slam my van into 2nd,,,,,,,,so I choose fun over economy,,,But the question is just to provide basic information on how the tires/transmissions/rear end ratio and tire size affect mileage,,,,,you need to know what you got- to know where you stand- to know where you can go from there.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:41 pm

so just tell what your van has and what kind of gas milage
    you get with your setup, my first 68 with 350/350 with a
    holley 600 never got more than 12 mpg, had 336 rear and
    15 inch tires.
    we have a club member that has a 250/700r4 336 rear and
    15 inch tires that has been converted to tbi and he gets
    20 mpg.
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 am

My '67 is a 283 V8, not the six, but on a fairly long trip over mostly level roads, a year or two ago, going about 55-60 mph, I measured about 18 mph, mostly highway.

I'll have to check it again, though, because I just adjusted the valve lash preload and it's got significantly more power. Used to be it was struggling to get up to 60. Now it's no hot rod, but it can get there no problem, and the difficulty is keeping the foot off the accelerator for slower starts and lower top speeds. The increased power's increased fuel consumption may be balanced by the fact that the engine is now running more efficiently. These vans are not particularly aerodynamic so no matter what, wind resistance is a major factor in fuel economy. Fuel injection would probably be a major fuel saver, as well. I think I've taken the little 2bbl carb as far as it can go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 pm