VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
pan58head
wideload
DanTheVanMan
Twinpilot001
BvrWally
m1dadio
donivan65
G-Man
cculella
13 posters

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Empty First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions

Post by cculella Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Like the post title states, I am looking to get the dimensions of the First Gen swan neck mirror arms that everyone is trying so hard to find. I am going to be attempting to create my own from scratch. I have the correct rubber gasket for the base, so I can get the base's dimensions from that. All I need is as follows:

- Thickness of the arm.
    - Length of the arm. This can be measure by tracing a string the along length of the arm and straightening the string out to measure it.
    - How far out does the end of the arm sit from the face of the door.
    - Any other measurement that you think I might need.

If one of the lucky guys who own these mirrors could help me out with these measurements that would be much appreciated. If I end up with a good finished product and a method for creating them, I will probably try and sell them to fellow vanners who can't find used ones (like me).

If any of you are wondering which mirrors I am talking about. Check out the link below:
    https://servimg.com/view/13103795/212

Also, feel free to post any photos you have of your swan neck mirrors.

Thanks a lot.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Empty Re: First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Welcome to the site!!!! I don't have them, but sure maybe someone can help. Sure others would be interested in buying also
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Empty Re: First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Nodoor86

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Nodoor87
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Here are my original brackets,,,,,,they only work with the small round mirror,,,,,the pick up bracket uses the same base, only in a different position,,,,,,here are some basic dimensions......

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Mirz110

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Mirz210

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Mirz310

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Mirz410

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Mirz510
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Oh man, thanks a bunch! These measurements are exactly what I was looking for. I definitely wasn't expecting the detailed photos, a major plus.

Now the stock mirror is a 4" right? I was thinking for my own set, to play around with a 5" or 6" to increase the usability when driving. Visibility is the one thing I like about the west coast style mirrors, I just can't get past the truck look. I really like how the round mirrors mimic the look of the round headlights. It completes the package.

Hopefully I will be able to complete a set and get them up for you guys to take a look. If anyone else has pics of their mirrors, post 'em up. Thanks again Donivan65!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm

You need to try those mirrors out to see if they work for you. Don't tell Vanish, but I took those mirrors off and put on something I could see out of when I drove that Blue No Door,,,,,

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Nodoor88
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Dons the man when it come to helpful pictures eh!

That link is my van, like Don says . the mirrors look cool but you can't see s&!t out of them. good thing I have a window van.

M1D
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 am

I know what you mean M1D! That was a thought, when I purchased this:
    First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 1November2009HHRatthePinStripers-5
    I really wanted a "Panel" version, but with the traffic in this area, the windows are definitely worth the safety as a Daily driver!
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:37 pm

So it might make sense to make a set that had the same look, but extended up a little higher to be more visible. I have a panel van, so I don't have the luxury of the side windows for checking blindspots. Looks like if the bottom of the mirror head was about even with the bottom of the window, it would help out a lot with visibility(at least according to Donivan's homemade mirror). Throw on a 6" mirror head and I think it might be a winning combination.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

If you added an inch to the arm, the rectangular mirrors would be able to be adjustable and do a better job,,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,,,in my book,,,,,,these 3rd Gen Chevy Van mirrors work REAL GOOD,,,,,,,,,

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Nodoor89

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Nodoor90

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Repai237
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Just an Observation=?? The 1st gen mirror arms are both the same lenght, i believe and had only roung mirror heads on them. The 2nd gen ones had rectangular mirror heads and the pass side arm was longer. drivers side was still the same short one . Maybe a running nmod from gm between the two?? I will agree with doni = the 3rd gen really look good anf work very well.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

I finally got the mirror arms done and chromed! They work great. With the 6" convex mirror, there is no such thing as a blindspot, even on a panel van. I couldn't be happier. Can anyone tell how I made them?

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 21mirror1sm.th

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 51mirror2sm.th

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 44mirror3sm.th

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 27mirror4sm.th

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 83mirror5sm.th
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:29 pm

cculella,
    Swanies that look great and function too!! Nice! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Mirrors look GREAT !!!!!!! The whole van looks great, sorry I missed seeing it.

Were the seats still on the porch when you got home?

cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks guys.

Mike - The seats were fine on the porch since you bagged them up. We have started working on some designs for the upholstery. I will definitely post those up when we are finished.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Nice job on the mirrors Cool
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Please tell us how you made the mirrors, best looking mirroes for a 1st gen Bob
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:51 pm

nice job

M1D
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:16 pm

After many failed/kinked attempts at bending pipe to fit the complex "S" curve of the original swan neck mirrors, I was about to give up. That's when I noticed the tubing on the original West Coast style truck mirrors that originally came with my van.

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 22mirrorcuts.th

When I had the van painted, I had the WC mirror bracket holes welded over. So I knew I wasn't going to use those mirrors again, and no one would buy them from me.

So I used the factory bent 45 degree section near the base as the starting point for the arm. In the photo, it shows where I made the cuts in red. The white highlighted boxes are the sections I ended up using. After I had the 45 bend and straight section, I used a conduit bender and slowly worked the rest of the bend into the neck. Once I got it to the right curve, I welded the top section that was already nicely formed from the factory. The hardest part was making the arms perfectly symmetrical.

The pickup trucks use the set of three holes for their mirrors, so I bought the rubber gaskets that hold them tight to the door and made a template. I used the template to cut out two matching 1/4 thick steel plates. Drilled the holes, welded on the tubing and ground down the welds to be smooth. Had them chrome plated with the rest of the hardware from the van.

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and I am glad you guys like them as well. Makes me feel like I did right by my van.

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 98mirrorarms2.th

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions 51mirrorarms1.th
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:19 am

WOW I'm even more impressed now. Finally a use for west cost mirrors To bad they take some much to build, you sell a bunch to all of us. Bob

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah, those look Great! pretty creative thinking there to !
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:31 am

pan58head, they really don't take that long to create, it just seems that way. There was a lot of trial and error in the first run. The next set would take nearly as long.

After I get a few other projects behind me, I could probably start knocking some of these out for fellow vanners.
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

First Gen swan neck mirror arm dimensions Empty AWESOME MIRRORS

Post by ditdater Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm

READY TO BUILD ANOTHER SET ?
    DANNY
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I could be tempted. Message me if you want to discuss further.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 am

Now I see what your calling long beach mirrors Nice job. I "think" the ones you used to make yous ,were JR west coast mirrors??? or at least thats what I call them (In IN. (LOL) Really nice Van too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 pm