VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
jrinaman
pan58head
Rayallen
ChevyVanMan1
StuNami
SDEconoTruck
austinmodhouse
benwah
jkr
RodStRace
Smallblockbug
DanTheVanMan
Donn
17 posters

Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell?

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell? Empty Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell?

Post by Donn Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Just got my new '63 Econo PU the truck is just about rust free, one reason I bought it.
    After saying that I still have a spot here and there with surface rust. Where the rear gate hinges bolt in I want to protect it from future rust.
    So does Por 15 really work? How can we tell as it is a fairly new product as far as rust takes years to develop.
    Do you really need the three steps
    1. Marine clean
    2. Metal ready
    3. Por 15

What do you guys, that know more then I do think? Should I use this product, all the steps or is there another product out there better.
    Donn
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell? Empty Re: Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell?

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Donn,
    POR15 has been around for longer than most rust products. It is used to encapsulate the rusted areas after you have neutralized the rust. I have used it for years with great success and really like it. The key like all products is to properly prep the area. I restored my 84 Jeep CJ7 back in 2002 using POR15 to seal the frame after pulling the body and blasting. You can also thin it down to make it spray-able for shooting the inside walls and undercarriage. But be very careful! Wear gloves and a mask. This stuff does not wash off and once it dries it has to wear off!

I'm still driving it today!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell? Empty Re: Does Por 15 Really work? How can we tell?

Post by Smallblockbug Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 pm

There is also masterseries. Its less prep time and just as good of a product
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

There is also Rust Bullet.
    The issues I have heard w/POR is that it can chip easily and that it is not long-lasting in direct sunlight.
    The chipping may be explained by prep, the UV can be resolved by top coating.
    I haven't used it myself.
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Dan,
    Did you use the three step system?

Por claims that the uv will hurt the product and advise's to use an over coat.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 am

it's on the inside of my fuel tank and no issues in 10 years.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:02 am

It works great! I used the 2 stage (metal ready por 15) on a 1967 cub cadet mower deck in 1993-4. Both top and underside. It has a top coat of rustolium applied with a brush. To this day Im still cutting grass with it, No chipping peeling rust none of that. Id say it works well.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 am

IMHO All three steps ARE required. I used their three part system about 10 years ago on some freshly sandblasted upper control arms for an S-10 I was doing a V-8 conversion on. After the sandblast, I tried to just go to the final step but it just kinda went on as if there was some dirt or film on the metal. I cleaned it off and went through the proper steps including the etching (my wording). When you put the final black coat on it looked like the consistancy of (my words) Sharpie ink! It covered very well but wasn't thick. That's fine. Once it dried, I assembled the bushings and upper ball joint and as hard as I tried to NOT to be careful, I could not scratch or chip it off! I was and still am impressed with the product. If you're gonna spend the money and use it, do it as the directions tell you to. I can't speak to the process of putting it on on rusted parts. When I had clean parts it was strong and lasting. I called my buddy that has the truck and he said although the parts are dirty, they are still rust free. Larry Gill in East China Mi.
    P.S. I do not sell the stuff but am happy with the product!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Donn wrote:Dan,
    Did you use the three step system?

Por claims that the uv will hurt the product and advise's to use an over coat.

Yes... You need to go through the step and do it correctly. firea100 explained it well. And it will last!!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 pm

OK, if it is good enough for you guys...I am going with it, all three stages..
    Thanks for all your input.
    Donn
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm

I've had success with it. as mentioned, it does need to be top coated, not UV friendly.
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 pm

http://masterseriesct.com/

if anyone wants to order or read up on it.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Works pretty good 'til you get brake fluid on it...
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 am

I used KBS rust seal on my truck last year and I like it better than por15. The prep is 3 stage too but a little more intense and it comes in different colors too. I've heard that the guy that puts it out helped develop POR 15.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am

No offense but only benwah's experience means much to me as he's talking well over 5 years. I would love to hear feedback in the plus 10 year range if anybody has it.

I've used all mentioned and kept records so in about 5 years or first failure I'll be chiming in. So, far, about 5yrs out still good. All tho, INHO need acid tx before coating.

And, if you are spraying any of these products please use a very good respirator with air supply. These water cured synthetics like to cure in one's lungs and if you survive COPD and a bed is waiting for you.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

I was turned on to POR 15 from a Amazing Car Restorer in my area. This guy swore by it and from what ive seen and heard its the real deal. As Mentioned you have to follow the step/instructions well to get the best application.

I will be using POR15 to coat my floor in my econoline eventually when I get to it.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:00 pm

I've had good luck with the product but you have read the instuction and "do it" I always spray paint over the por when I'm done so it is extra protected !!!!!!!!! Bob
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

had thoughts of using this inside the frame rails, but how would you do the prep work? as much as i beleive its a good product, everytime i want to use it, it is somewhere i cant scrape or sand. is there a product that can be sprayed over exsisting rust?
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Eastwood sells a product for the internals of frame rails. I bought 4 cans of it and half used 3-1/2. They come with a 18" hose with a nozzle and work great. No prep work required. It is $20 a can so I only use it were it is hard to get to, like the inside of the a-pillars.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm

I bought this kit on ebay over here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-RUST-PROOFING-WAX-KIT-LITRES-XLARGE-Carr-FREE-/120718655606?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item1c1b648076

It is a brilliant product and has everything you need to treat the underside of a van. It comes with a long tube with a brass nozzle on the end that sprays the stuff out in all directions. This can be threaded down the frame rails and slowly withdrawn as you spray.... Awesome stuff, and my van is totally coated in it underneath... I also did inside all the doors and anywhere else i could think of....
    Sy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 am

Like I had said in my above posts. I restored my 1984 CJ7 in early 2002 using POR-15 and its still looking good 10 years later. The key with any coating whether paint, sealant, rustproofing or any encapsulation product is in proper preparation. If its not done correctly then how good the product is really doesn't matter.

And as for the "Rust Bullet"... Unless you have a clean un-pitted surface I wouldn't waste your time or money. It's more like a protective coating the a true encapsulating agent like POR-15. And if you spill gas, anti-freeze, tranny fluid or oil, it start to peal off in a few days....

*** If you want a good "Combo" the try this:

1. Clean metal (Wire wheel works great)
    2. Spray Purple Power rust remover http://www.clean-rite.com/purplepower_de-ruster.html
    3. Let sit over night. (At least 24hrs for best penetration)
    4. Clean metal with a good "Prep" agent.. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pre-painting-prep.html?reltype=2&parent_id=4686
    (Do not use any water based anything!), Let completely dry!
    5. Apply POR-15 per instructions on can or Kit whichever you purchase.. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/por-15.html?srccode=ga110080&gclid=CKa305mj7aoCFcEC2godIED2Pw

This is what I did and used on my Jeep 10 years ago and its still rust-free and protected as the day I did it!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 738
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:50 pm

I used POR-15 on the inside of my A100 gas tank, and no problems after 2 years.
    I also painted it on the diff head of my GTX just 'cause I had some spare - no problems after 10 years,
    and also coated the front brake rotors and calipers on the GTX over 10 years ago - no rust, and you would expect the heat to be quite fierce on those parts. Cool
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I just used it last year, but I'm not saying anything because my opinion doesn't matter....hahaha!!!

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Roman wrote:I just used it last year, but I'm not saying anything because my opinion doesn't matter....hahaha!!!
    ???????
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:29 pm

I've been using KBS rust stop instead. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/rustseal.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 pm