VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
G-Man
EconoCarl
DanTheVanMan
RodStRace
Van Halen
thejonathanpaul
10 posters

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas?

thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Empty Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas?

Post by thejonathanpaul Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:29 am

So I need to start the interior and before i can do the wood paneling I need insulation I am debating on a affordable insulation I have heard of guys using the double sided aluminum bubble wrap. I was thinking using "fatmat" www.fatmat.com pretty inexpensive and has a self adhesive backing and a 100 sq feet for about $100. Anyone else have some recommendations?
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Empty Re: Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas?

Post by Van Halen Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:59 pm

I just ordered the Fatmat and I am going to double up with the bubble wrap. You need some sort of sound deadener outside of the bubble wrap.
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Empty Re: Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas?

Post by thejonathanpaul Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Which fat mat did u get? How many sq feet?
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:51 pm

I bought the 50 mil 100 sq. ft. I also bought it on e-bay for $15 less..
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:18 pm

cool let me know what you think about it

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Any suggestions for sites or vendors that sells them sound deadeners? Been searching online and only found SD's for newer vans.
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Fatmat.com it's just like dynamite supposedly. Fits any vehicle it has a self adhesive peel and stick back.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm

MysteryMachine wrote:Any suggestions for sites or vendors that sells them sound deadeners? Been searching online and only found SD's for newer vans.
    There are a lot of fatmat sellers on ebay.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:02 pm

I did some searching and reading on this.
    A lot of the ricers and sound guys have been debating this for years.
    Many end up pointing to
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    Unfortunatly, the showdown info is gone now that the guy is selling his own stuff. Good info still there on his stuff, though.
    Also, over on the HAMB, this guy offers stuff that is good for thermal insulation, but some mention it's not the best for acoustics.
    It's at a price us vanners with massive square footage can appreciate, though.
    http://www.lobucrod.com/

Perhaps a bit from column A and some from column B will be the best answer for those of us that can't afford 3+ a foot for dynamat or 1.20 for a foot of Fatmat.
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:47 am

Thanks man that stuff is much more affordable only downside is that it is not self adhesive but a spray adhesive would work fine! I am going to weigh my options.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Ok started on Fat mat and all I can say is buy it!!! Really-- coolest product I have ever used. So much so I am doing a before and after video. I can't believe how easy and effective this stuff is. Then I am backing up with the foil bubble wrap from Lowes..Really comes down to putting out an extra $100 beans well worth the change of life!!!!

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Van_so10

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Van_so11
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm

That looks great VH ! That should make it possible to hold a conversation at 60MPH.... Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Heat/Sound Deadner Insulation Ideas? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Wow looking good!!!!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Lookin' good VH! How many square feet do you think you'll end up using? I hate to order way too much (or not enough). I guess I could go out there and do some figurin', it's just so much easier to ask, and it's pretty cold out there right now!!! Rolling Eyes
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm

VH does the fat Mat have a sticky back???

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:07 pm

yes it is self sticking
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:02 am

Yes it does have the sticky back and you need the roller to really get it tight. I ordered 100 sq. ft. that will do the roof and sides may gey another 50sq. to do the floor. I will keep you posted....
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:25 pm

I must say, Van Halen's job looks great, but in another thread on insulation several brought up the issue of condensation on the metal walls, and how they have to breath. I'm within a month or two from tackling the interior, so this whole concept is on my front burner.

I was wondering if the fat mat (used like car mfg's tar paper) in strips or pieces, but not covering the whole panel, would work to deaden the metal sound when rain hits the roof, but still allow most of the metal to breath?

My current plan, still subject to change, is to attach thin styrofoam panels to the back of the inside sheeting I'm going to use, and then cover it with the Lowes/HD foil covered stuff (like Van Halen is using over the Fat Mat). I've been concerned that it would still need some more sound deadener, especially on the roof, and the Fat Mat is looking like a solution, but I'm just concerned that covering the metal too much could prove problematic down the road with condensation. (I envision a layer of air between the inside insulation and outside wall, no matter what combination of products I end up using.)
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:48 pm

You will always hit a dew point in your van at some point,the key is not to hold moisture. So at any level there will be a water issue, so all I can say if you have something like fatmat the condensation will transfer to the outside and would not have a chance to penetrate the metal..Anyway here is so video of the before and after hope this helps!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESutRIqrhVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdGIOx5IXFM

Oh and had to plug Chevy Sportvan Deluxe!!! Cool

EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Great before and after videos there VH!
    Looks like the benefits far outweigh the cost.
    Gotta' order me some now!
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Wow! That was convincing. Think the adhesive will hold up once that puppy bakes out in our Carolina sun? (I'm just down the road in Columbia.)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

VH nice job!!! Those Fat Mat guy's should hire you for sales

Post by Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 pm

I just got my fatmat delivered today for my 61 Econo pickup and 67 8 door Econo. That stuff is heavy.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:43 am

Yes, once you get it on it's on for good. It's nice when you get it on the doors really makes them feel solid!!! Oh and I did send it to Fatmat who knows maybe I can get some freebies.. Smile
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 am

Looks great. Does it have an odor?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am