VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
kookykrispy
savage
Sy Hollinshead
Scott
benwah
richie61
G-Man
bugeye bob
12 posters

junkyard tool bag or box

bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

junkyard tool bag or box Empty junkyard tool bag or box

Post by bugeye bob Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:04 pm

how important and how much does your toolbox and toolbag weight that you take when you go to the junkyard. today i went to the auto junkyard and i have a small nylon tool bag i bought at the auto store a couple year back it hast most tools i need but i also have a small socket set bag i also take so after a short time i'm tired of carrying this stuff and ready to toss something away. on the way home i stopped at advance auto and bought one of those cheap $5. 40 piece socket sets, when i got home i discarded the cheap socket wrench and replaced it with a good socket wrench and put it in the bottom the nylon bag. one thing i also saw was a man with cargo pants with two bottles of water yes we all get thirty when walking the auto wonder land, i found a clip on camo bottle bag i had and clipped it to my tool bag for next time. i also need to dig though my junk and find a shoulder strap instead of the current carry handles. also is your junkyard bag used exclusively for when you go there or is it used anywhere.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

junkyard tool bag or box Empty Re: junkyard tool bag or box

Post by G-Man Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I seen a guy use a small wagon for all his tools. Plus he used it to haul out the parts
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:20 pm

My wife gave me one of her old backpacks and for me it's a lot easier to carry. I have a full socket set, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, WD40, small pry bar and wire cutters.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Dont forget the wasp/hornet spray!
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Shoulder Strap?

Just attach an old Seat Belt.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Most of our scrapyards don't let you take tool boxes in. They think you are stealing parts without paying for them by hiding them under your tools....! Can't think where they get that idea from....!!! hehe
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:24 pm

scott seatbelts cost to much and no spares going to the dollar store and buy a dogleash for the shoulder strap. richie glad you posted a list forgot the wd40
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:54 pm

If your going to take a can of something, take PB blaster. Had Alot better luck with it at the Yard on 40++ year rusted bolts
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Most of the U-pull yards here have wheelbarrows you can use in the yard. I carry my big old steel fold-out craftsman box, which was originally purchased by my grandpa back in the 50's! It weighs alot, probably at least 50 lbs. but I can bring all my tools with me. I have pretty much everything I need in there, including 1/4,3/8, and 1/2 sockets, a breaker bar, plenty of screwdrivers, vice grips, channel-locks, wiring stuff, including a little torch for soldering and a test light. I don't drive my van without this toolbox along with me, and this policy of bringing my tools along has saved my ass several times. I store it immediately behind the drivers seat, along with a floor jack. I also carry starter fluid, brake cleaner, WD-40, nitrile gloves, leather gloves, and a really beat up old carhartt jacket.

When I go to the yard, I am prepared to pull anything I want right then and there, even an engine! I may enter the yard with just minimal tools in my pockets at first, but I can always go back to the van and get the big box if I need to. You just need to guard your tools carefully when working at the U-pull it yard. I've seen other guys eyeballing my big toolbox and its contents with envy, and I know some are thieves, so I don't ever give them the opportunity.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:30 pm

I use a 5 gallon paint bucket I bought at Lowes and one of those tool pouches that attach around the rim of the bucket. Holds a lot of tools and all small parts can go inside the bucket.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 pm

At the moment, I'm using a tool bag - the kind I got from Princess Auto store. Was at a good price and good to use for junkyards. Had it for almost 3 years now and it's due to replace it again ... it's wearing down. I've been looking in to buy a good used metal tool box to put my junkyard tools.

one of my rules is to NEVER use any expensive tools for junkyards - just buy cheap or second-hand old tools will sufficient. After all, it's easy to "forget" one or two tools left in a junkyard - happens to me once in a while! Embarassed

I had made a large wooden tool box from scrap wood in an old job I used to work. Did that so i can put my junkyard tools in my old van to leave in there wherever I need go to a junkyard. Also served as my kit for my van if anything happens. I still have the box after 20 years and in good condition, it will go in my next van.

For large parts from a junkyard - be it like a body panel, a door or engine parts, I have a 4-wheel metal cart to tow a 3450 watt generator and my tools. it's very handy cart and well worth in saving my time for faster stripping down. Quite a few people was jealous of me with that - LOL and one guy once said "Damn why didn't I think of THAT!" because he was tired from using a hand saw to cut a panel.

Yeah, some yards don't allow to bring a generator ... but fortunately the yard I went do allow that.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Any of you guys bring a 18 volt impact gun and/or drill and/or sawzall?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:37 pm

I always take a 18 volt drill, sawz all and grinder with evtra batteries.. I leave them in my truck unless I know I will need them..
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:22 pm

I am with vanishing breed on this topic... the 5 gallon bucket with the canvas rim pouch works great... I carry a battery impact and all the tools in it I can and there is still room for the small items.... but then again, I don't think the "BIG" parts would fit in any tool box... Very Happy
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:37 pm

I usually use a JY set of tools, manily all the stuff I find when parting out cars in a plastic pail. Id love to get one of those batt saws-alls!
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 pm

I have a hand impact that i've had for at least 30 years and was glad to have it with me at pull a part the other day, I see harbor freight has a smaller diameter one that I may pickup and try. I think my main concern is to have the necessities in my canvas bag when I enter the yard but nothing to weigh me down. I may also pack in a light weight small duffle bag to carry the parts i pick .
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm

itruns wrote:Any of you guys bring a 18 volt impact gun and/or drill and/or sawzall?

Always bring my Dewalt Sawzall, impact, drill and grinder with cut-off discs. They have saved me hours of work!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

junkyard tool bag or box Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BajaCharlie
    BajaCharlie

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2010-01-07

Post by BajaCharlie Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:31 am

flat screw driver/prybar,my snapon ratchet screwdriver,and a set of plyers all in my back pocket,and my camera.then go back to the van if I need anything else where I have my Ryobi cordless stuff sawzall,drill/screwdriver,grinder,ect with extra batterys and a car charger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm