VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

67 Wiring diagrams

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

67 Wiring diagrams Empty 67 Wiring diagrams

Post by veefre Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Previous thread lost over weekend.

A couple of people came to my assistance and posted links to very helpful wiring diagrams for '67 G20 Chevy van.

To recap, briefly, I had just replaced all the plug wires (they were too short and were getting baked on exhaust manifold). Found the heat riser valve as stuck fast, as well. Freed that up, van started up nicely. Then I turned on the headlights and everything died. Found melted orange wire running from light switch. It apparently had shorted out before, since there was some tape on it in an effort to insulate it again (exposed and oxidized copper showing). I clipped the wire at the switch, and after a while the power came back on.

I'll probably be running a dedicated, separately fused line for the dome lights in future.

Anyway, thanks to those who posted the links to the wiring diagrams.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

67 Wiring diagrams Empty Re: 67 Wiring diagrams

Post by savage Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 am

Did you ever get both your head lights to work???
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:04 am

Savage,

Yes, thanks, the problem with the headlights appeared t be corrosion in the connector in the footwell. I used some spray electromotive cleaner to remove the cupric oxide dust and the headlights are working well.

No more shorts/dead ignition since I clipped the melted orange dome light wire at the light switch. Heater, stop lights, turn signals etc still work just fine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:16 pm

From the wiring diagram, there should be 2 wires on that connection on the back of the headlight switch. Maybe 2 orange, maybe one is brown. One wire is the hot wire that goes up to the dome lights, brake light switch and goes into the switch for the tail lights. . The other is the power from the fuse. So if you had any problem there, the fuse should of blown. As for the melted wire, it might of got hot from a wire next to it or if someone got tired of that fuse blowing from having a short in the circuit and then put a jumper wire across the fuse. All the power comes from the Battery, through a fusible link, through the connector under the drivers seat and into a connector on the back of the fusebox. We have found a lot of problems at this connector. You should unscrew the fusebox and check that connector to see if it looks good. We also found problems at that connector because the rivet that holds the teminal to the fusebox comes loose. And I would see if there still is a fusible link on the starter solenoid. The first Gens don't have a fusible link on them and WHEN, not IF, a wire rubs through or alternator diodes or the voltage regulator shorts out,,,,the van goes UP IN SMOKE. I surely added a fusible link to my 1st Gen.

http://vcvc.org/pdfs/67wire.pdf
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Well, I know the wiring diagram says the two wires are orange and brown, but the wires on this van are both orange. One orange wire seems to run over to the heater fan. The other one is fried and obviously was for the dome lights. The stop/turn/backup signals work just fine with the melted orange wire cut off at the light switch.

I will probably run a dedicated, fused wire to the dome lights so that there can be some illumination inside the van. This part isn't rocket science. The only drawback might be that the lights will not be controlled by the main light switch, but I can live with that. It would seem that its design - with switched ground and always hot positive - isn't that great anyway.

I'll check for the presence of fusible links in the right locations as I definitely don't want this van to self-destruct. Since it's a second gen machine I think it's probably ok, but better safe than sorry, right?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Then that cut wire is the feed to the dome lights. It runs up the pillar then inside the left roof rail and across the 2 supports to each dome light. There is a good chance it is shorted somewhere in there. I would see if you can find the other cut off end above the dimmer light switch and tape a new wire to it and then pull it up with the old bad orange wire. That other wire still connected to the headlight switch is from the fuse. The heater blower has its own fuse.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Good idea, Don.

There is a little light under the air handler under the dash, and I think the orange wire connects to that as well. I'll probably splice in a Y and send one wire to the under-dash light and another one to the dome lights in the cabin.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 pm

A guy can't ever have too much power in his van. I also ran another 10 gauge wire up through the roof rail to two 12 volt outlets in the back to run my fans, TV or Laptop. And you just got to know that all the vans have had a lot of modifications to their wiring over the last 40 years, so you don't know what you will find. You just got to dig in and make it right and better.
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 pm

67 Wiring diagrams 67-70_10
    Click on picture for wiring diagram.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks for posting that colorized wiring diagram again. I printed it out last time and taped all the pages together. Nice!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm