VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
hywaychild
econopoor
67a 100 pickup
7 posters

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys

67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Empty Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:58 am

The distributer I have is from an '83 350 and I am trying to put it in a '76 305, but it is about 1/4" from seating all the way. The gear feels like is is in all the way. The 305 didn't come with any pulleys and the balancer has "nubs" and is totally different than the one on the 350 that I have pulleys for. Also the bolt pattern for the water pump pulley doesn't match up,

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Dsc_0014

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Dsc_0010

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Dsc_0011

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Dsc_0012

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Dsc_0013
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Empty Re: Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys

Post by econopoor Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:57 am

looks like the oil pump drive shaft is not lined up with the distributor. You can turn the engine over by hand until it sets down into it.

Duane in Tennessee.
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys Empty Re: Need help with a SBC distributer and pulleys

Post by hywaychild Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:19 am

thats what i was thinking
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:59 pm

305 is a totally different block. look the same but different. those were cast in mexico and have several differences to them. some of the stock car guys can tell you the differences for sure because the biggest one is weight. about 20 lbs lighter and the roundy round boys don't light carring extra weight.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:40 pm

The distributer I have is from an '83 350 and I am trying to put it in a '76 305, but it is about 1/4" from seating all the way. The gear feels like is is in all the way.
    Oil pump drive is not engaged. Rotate the motor by hand while holding the Dist. down, and it should drop the rest of the way.

The 305 didn't come with any pulleys and the balancer has "nubs" and is totally different than the one on the 350 that I have pulleys for.
    Swap dampers. The 350 one is heavier, but both look neutral, so it should work.

Also the bolt pattern for the water pump pulley doesn't match up,
    swap the water pump for a 350. Bring in the pulley to check.
    Also, there are different lengths, so get the one for the 350, use the damper and the pulleys should align.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 am

I agree, the distributor shaft is not all the way locked into the oil pump.

The way I do it it get a long flat blade screwdriver and a flashlight... look into the distributor hole in the engine and using the screwdriver, turn the slot in the oil pump driveshaft to make it line up with the distributor. Once everything is lined up, it will drop all the way down into place.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks guys, turned it over a little and the distributer went in. Swapping the water pump sure sounds better than trying to get a set of pulleys.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:11 pm

the harmonic balancer that is in that engine pictured looks like
    one from a 283 or a 327, the water pump in an early chevy
    design, pre 68. the 283/327 lower pulley has holes in the pulley
    where the nubs are, in other words the lower pulley has 6 holes in it.
    just use the 350 ballancer and pulley and a later model water pump.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Got the 350 water pump and balancer on today so I should be able to drop it in the el camion on saturday. One more piece off the floor and back in the car. cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am