VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
wylee
Nightmoves
G-Man
EconoCarl
hdsn49
9 posters

Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van

hdsn49
    hdsn49

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van Empty Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van

Post by hdsn49 Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 pm

I have just started to restore my dads '66 A100 custom sportsman van. I put the van in storage 34 years ago after he passed away. Now its time to restore the van before I get too old to drive it.

Originally I wanted to install a 360 V8 but have now decided to build the original 225 Slant Six. I know that
    Clifford Research has performance parts for the slant six. Any other advice would be appreciated.

The van is actually in great condition. Just a few minor rust through in the typical areas. I have already gutted the interior and removed the engine and transmission. I plan on have the body soda blasted and primed before we start any body work. I already have collected over the years a lot of NOS parts and only need a few items. The interior is still in great shape except for the front seats that I will have reupholstered.

I drove this van when I was in high school and can't wait to drive it to my 45th high school reunion.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van Empty Re: Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van

Post by EconoCarl Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Sounds like a good one, welcome aboard!
    Be sure and post some pics of the build.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van Empty Re: Restoring my dads '66 Custom Sportsman Van

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Welcome to the site!!!! Start a thread about your van in the members section and all your pictures will be all together
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Just wanna say welcome to the site HD.Looks like wherever ya kept it,stayed in good shape.Lookin forward to some pics.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 am

beefing up the 6 is a great idea..............
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:24 am

Welcome to the site!
    Whenever you modify an engine from stock, pay attention to it's stock torque curve and normal operating RPM range, then consider how they will be changed with the modifications.
    Try not to simply go for a higher HP number at high RPM, but build torque and HP in the normal operating RPM range. Make sure all the components work together as a package. An example of mis-matched components would be stock (low RPM) intake and exhaust flow with a long duration (high RPM) camshaft. Since the original /6 was designed as a low RPM, medium torque and understressed engine, it's fairly easy to get more power from it. Just make sure all the components work together.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:37 am

for /6 info check in at slantsix.org - lots of other options besides clifford - now if only we didnt have to pull that side panel on the doghouse anytime you need to service plugs or dist ! - oo3
    hdsn49
    hdsn49

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by hdsn49 Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Update on restoration of my dads A100 Van. The interior has been removed, all stainless and chrome removed and engine and transmission are out. The van is going to the stripper next week to be blasted and epoxy primed.

I'm going to rebuild the motor during the winter and clean and or paint all the parts I removed. Rear seat and all interior panels are in great shape. I just have to have the front seats reupholstered. My goal is to have the van completed by the summer of 2012.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Keep us updated hdsn49
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Welcome Ed!
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey man welcome and good luck!!!! Your van looks like an exact copy of mine when it was new!!!!! Unfortunately, unlike yours, mine has had multiple owners and has been horribly mistreated before I owned it so mine isn't nearly as well of as yours is. I am really excited to see how you do and I hope we can share ideas and sources!!! If there is anything you need, ask me and I'll help you the best I can!
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Also-post more pics!!!! I might need them sometime for reference! Very Happy hahaha Nah, just kidding, I am just always excited when I see one of these in such great shape! This is my high school car too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:44 pm