VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Help! Exhaust manifold question.

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Help!  Exhaust manifold question. Empty Help! Exhaust manifold question.

Post by southern man Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

My Econo is at my buddies shop, getting the side pipes hooked up. We knew there was an exhaust leak around the manifold but only now have found out how bad it is. We thought it just needed to be resurfaced and a new gasket installed but it turns out there are numerous hairline cracks in it. No matter what he does it leaks and sounds like crap.

This is a 200" six from a mustang - year unknown (but there is a PCV valve). Should I look for a replacement (which might have the same issues) or bite the bullet and get a set of headers? The headers are definitely not in my budget, at least for now, but I can't get this back on the road until I resolve this. If I remember correctly headers were around $350 - $400.

Suggestions???

Help!  Exhaust manifold question. Empty Re: Help! Exhaust manifold question.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 pm

southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Yes, thanks Mike. That's the one I bookmarked from an earlier post of yours. I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and just ordering them.

"Port Divider: Hand File and tack weld this piece of cast into the exhaust port of your cylinder head in 3 places using a N-99 Rod. "

What does this mean? What is a port divider?
    I've bolted up headers before - but this has me confused.

And what is a street hookup kit? Just the outlet pipes that bolt up to the headers?

These are the exhaust pipes I've got mounted up. Hope it sounds decent with these headers (can't sound any crappier than it does at the moment!).
    http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10618/s-10401/p-100000174317/mediaCode-CP/appId-100000174317/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000174317
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

The exact same thing happened to me three weeks ago,and I too thought about getting a header.A header would have been nice but I really didn't want to spend the money on that now when I still need some tunes amongst other things. Found a perfect manifold on ebay for $14 and installed last Friday.Now back to finding some tunes.

mike

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Clifford has the port divider that comes with the header. Here is some info. My port divider fit right in without filing and we didn't weld it in.
    http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=26-F&Category_Code=F200

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 pm

southern man wrote:Yes, thanks Mike. That's the one I bookmarked from an earlier post of yours. I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and just ordering them.

"Port Divider: Hand File and tack weld this piece of cast into the exhaust port of your cylinder head in 3 places using a N-99 Rod. "

What does this mean? What is a port divider?
    I've bolted up headers before - but this has me confused.

And what is a street hookup kit? Just the outlet pipes that bolt up to the headers?

These are the exhaust pipes I've got mounted up. Hope it sounds decent with these headers (can't sound any crappier than it does at the moment!).
    http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10618/s-10401/p-100000174317/mediaCode-CP/appId-100000174317/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000174317
    If you saw the video of my blue 65 you heard what these headers sound like with two
    single chamber mufflers. The street hookup kit is just what you need to hook the headers up. Then you add your own exhaust. If you have the time and the money it is wise to send the headers to Jet Hot and have them coat them with their jet hot silver coating, They put three coats on the inside and three on the outside of the headers. It looks very nice but more importantly helps keep your dog house cooler because normal headers run at about 900-1000 degrees but with the jet hot cooling only around five hundred degrees. I had the headers on Vanishing Breed done that way. Just google Jet Hot Coating.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mike. While the coating sounds like a great idea I'm going to have to forego it. I'm pretty tapped at the moment, and buying these headers (I went ahead and ordered them) is a real stretch. I'm insulating the dog house anyway, so hopefully that will help.

I have heard your sound cliip of the blue van, and if mine sounds remotely that good I'll be a happy camper!
    mcfly
    mcfly

Post by mcfly Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:55 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:If you saw the video of my blue 65 you heard what these headers sound like with two
    single chamber mufflers. .

Hey Mike, would love to hear your van? Got a link?

mike

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 pm

mcfly wrote:
    vanishingbreed wrote:If you saw the video of my blue 65 you heard what these headers sound like with two
    single chamber mufflers. .

Hey Mike, would love to hear your van? Got a link?

mike
    Here ya go. Remember it is a 200 inline six. https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v727/sonofvanitch/?action=view&current=MVI_0425.flv
    mcfly
    mcfly

Post by mcfly Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Sounds like I need to start saving my money . That van sounds great and besides all the extra ponies I believe you even get some nice gas miledge with that six.

Not sure my plain jane 200 needs deserves headers . Can't wait til I dig in to the 65 no-door.

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 am