VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Stripping front doors

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Stripping front doors Empty Stripping front doors

Post by RodStRace Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:54 pm

With all the great advice I’ve seen here, I thought I’d add a small bit. I apologize in advance for the pictures, I am NOT a photo guy.
    I stripped out all the insides of my 1966 A-100 front doors today, so follow along. The diagram shows a ‘68-later passenger door, the pictures are my ‘66 (early) driver door.
    Here is a diagram of the parts in this process.
    Stripping front doors Doorover
    Remove the inner panel and the inner handles.
    Raise the window all the way, then remove the bolt at the bottom of the vent window frame.
    Stripping front doors Door1
    Here is the part that hurts, since I haven’t found replacement rubber yet. Pry out the vent window rubber about 2 inches down the leading edge. There is a small screw there. Remove the screw.
    Stripping front doors Door2
    This next part I didn’t have to do, so I don’t have a removal picture. There is another screw on the bottom edge under the rubber about even with the front of the flange for the vent window handle. Here is a picture of it after it was removed, looking at the frame from the outside, looking up.
    Stripping front doors Doora
    Mine didn’t have a screw on either side, and only the driver side had the clip shown. This is also an area to inspect for cracks. Mine needs help as you can see!
    Stripping front doors Doorc
    This should free the whole frame, but it won’t come out yet. Roll the window all the way down. Remove the run from the top of the window frame. You can remove the whole thing if you are replacing it.
    Stripping front doors Door3
    Now wiggle the frame to make sure it is not sticking or there are other fasteners hiding somewhere. When free, it can tilt forward at the bottom and back at the top. Remove the whole thing. Don’t lose the fasteners you removed.
    Stripping front doors Door4
    With the frame out of the door, the window can tilt forward and the channel can slide off the regulator.
    Stripping front doors Door5
    I prefer to use an impact driver, since the bits are the right size and I can grab and twist better. Remove the screws and the regulator. I also put back the screws so I don’t lose them!
    Stripping front doors Door6
    Next is the outer handle. Pop the 2 covers if still there. Push on the edge tangs from the inside to prevent bending and chipping. These allow a straight shot to the nut (forward end) and the screw and plate (button end). Before removing them, undo the clip holding the linkage. This is MUCH easier to do when both ends are steady! If your doors have any junk in the bottom, it’s smart to lay a towel down to prevent loosing the clips. I suggest popping the clips at both ends. The handle end is a simple clip that pries off.
    The clips at the latch (lock) end are different. There are pictures and an explanation later, so please read all the way through before starting. Here is a view of the nut for the handle. The screw picture was too blurry. (worse than these?) Embarassed
    Stripping front doors Door7
    Here is a view of the latch (lock) looking down into the window opening with all the linkages attached in place. Top left is the outside handle, bottom right is the inside handle.
    Stripping front doors Door8
    Okay, so remove the outside handle linkage, then the handle. On mine a sharp pop to the bottom of the handle was needed to jar it loose.

Now the lock cylinder is removed. The linkage clip should be moved up to release it from the latch. Then there is a clip that slides back to allow the cylinder to come out. On this one, the clip slid okay, but getting the loose cylinder out was a pain.

Remove the screws and the inside door release (remote control in the first figure). It should just twist off the linkage. Note the clip location.
    Remove the inside lock knob linkage. It has the same type of clip as the lock cylinder. Leave the inside door release (remote control) linkage on. Remove the screws and the latch (lock). It will take a bit of wiggling to get out.

All the latch (lock) parts are now out. Here’s a picture with them set out in rough positions.
    Stripping front doors Door9
    The inside lock knob is at top left. The outside lock cylinder is at top right. The outside handle is at middle right. The inside door release (remote control) linkage is at lower left.

CLIPS

The clips used on the latch (lock) are not simple E-clips. You have to know how they work to remove them without damage. They slide to release the linkage, then the linkage is removed, then the clip is removed if needed. These are easy to assemble (good for assembly lines), just slide the clip on and snap the linkage in. The outside handle linkage clip is similar; slide it off to remove the linkage. For these examples, I used the lock cylinder linkage. Here is the tip of the linkage that you can’t see when installed.
    Stripping front doors Clip1
    Here it is with the clip and linkage in place.
    Stripping front doors Clip2
    Here it is with the clip slid over to allow linkage removal.
    Stripping front doors Clip3
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Stripping front doors Empty Re: Stripping front doors

Post by wylee Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:49 am

very nice job on the breakdown for us...................

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 am