BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Welcome Newbies to VintAGE-Vans.com!

Rust Bucket Retro

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-06-18

Re: Welcome Newbies to VintAGE-Vans.com!

Post by Rust Bucket Retro on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:32 am

Here is my 66 Chevy Sportvan it was used as the parts truck for an Indian Restoration and Service shop in California and was the same owner from 1971 until I bought it a few weeks ago.

vanny

Number of posts : 8045
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:45 am

Major Score on that one! Love the white steering wheel! Heard you also got some NOS parts with it...Van parts or Indian Motorcycle parts???

Rust Bucket Retro

Post by Rust Bucket Retro on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

vanny wrote:Major Score on that one! Love the white steering wheel! Heard you also got some NOS parts with it...Van parts or Indian Motorcycle parts???

I got 3 huge bins of NOS van parts

samsvan

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Damn! Your starting point looks like most peoples finished product. I know where you can get some back seats.

Rust Bucket Retro

Post by Rust Bucket Retro on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm

samsvan wrote:Damn! Your starting point looks like most peoples finished product. I know where you can get some back seats.

Thanks! I am not planning to run rear seats I want to haul my pinstriping tools, bikes, and surf boards back there.

Billy Pilgrim

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-08-08

DelMarVa newb here

Post by Billy Pilgrim on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:22 am

Finally getting settled in my new shop and started kinda aimlessly bouncing around on-line looking for a project when I stumbled upon VintAGE-Vans. My very first automobile was a '65 Handi that I've always regretted not keeping, so I'm thinking it may be time to try and revisit my miss-spent youth (just try and imagine a 16 year old with a van back in the early 70's).

I remember paying $400 for it, buying it from a guy who was a machinist at the Coast Guard Yard near Baltimore. I was so excited to buy it that I really don't recall listening to anything that he was trying to tell me about what he had done to it, but in hind sight it was pretty significant.

The entire dash had been replaced with 1/4" aluminum plate with cap screws holding the cover plate. The original gauges were all replaced with Stewart Warners, and aside from the usual auxiliaries he had three fuel gauges (there were two 25 gallon steel tanks inside that were plumbed into the original underneath), tach, and a whole bunch of toggle switches and indicator lights everywhere. It looked like the cockpit of a plane. The original six had been replaced with a 327 V-8, but still used the 3 on the Tree. He had also added a ram air tunnel that was also of aluminum plate and connected the grill with the engine box. The top of the tunnel had a false cover (also aluminum plate) that held even more gauges, and the sides of the original engine cover base had side extensions that were also fabricated out of the same 1/4" aluminum plate.

The engine was sporting a set of headers with dual exhaust but I really didn't know much about cars at the time so that's about where my recall ends. I do know it was fast as crap though! Even with the debilitating shifting arrangement, I had no problem smoking my friends old iron and newer small block vans. The color was black, it had green curtains on the windows, and a bench seat bolted to the floor in the back. In short it was every mother's nightmare and luckily (or not) for me I was something of an emancipated 16 year old, living on his own and without adult supervision. I do remember adding the old one-way window screens to the back windows for added privacy, but in my first of many not-too-smart ideas decided that buying the ones with marijuana leaves on them would be a really cool way to go. Turns out I just amped up the likelihood of becoming an early victim of profiling. Seems long haired teenaged boys, driving black vans with mag wheels, a rumbling engine, and pot leaf screens in the back window is something of a natural attractant to law enforcement. I probably still hold the record for police harassment around Baltimore, being pulled over no less than seven times in just one evening - by everyone from City, to County, and finally State police, several obviously more than once. Yeah the pot leaf screens had to go, but I drove that van into more trouble and miss-adventures than any post pubescent has a right to live and tell about. It disappeared when I later joined the military, but the memories were priceless.

So, in my attempt to go home again I think I'll start looking around for a similar model to keep me busy this winter. Maybe a longer wheelbase model if I have my druthers, and even though I loved the windows for function, I think I'd rather do without the potential for more seals to leak and rust, but we'll see what turns up. I've noticed a few pieces of yard art on the peninsula so next step is to acquire a victim.

I always had a kind of wish list for what I could have done with that old Chevy, and I actually did do a lot of it to an old Econoline for my brother years later, as well as a Dodge for myself after that, but that '65 has always had a special place in my heart. I still think it had the best handling of any van I ever drove, and that was with mainly original underpinnings, so I think there's untapped potential galore there.

Problem is I like the original so much I'm not sure I'd want to hack one up to customize it, so I suppose it will all depend upon what kind of shape the initial vehicle is in that I might find. I love to camp and fish so a full on custom may well end up a turbo-diesel 4X4 with air bags, so we'll see. Lookin' forward to learning more about what others have done and I'm tickled to have stumbled upon the site.

Big W

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:08 am

Welcome to VV Bill. No matter what you find, you will always have great people and excellent help in here to get you on the road again.

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:45 am

Big W wrote:Welcome to VV Bill. No matter what you find, you will always have great people and excellent help in here to get you on the road again.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Didn't think you guys ever saw the pavement enough to make vannin' worthwhile up there. Wha'dya put'em on runners and hitch up some reindeer... or is it more about snow machines these days? Wink

Honestly I grew up mainly just outside of Pittsburgh, where we spread so much old mill slag and salt on the roads that there was no such thing as vintage cars. I can remember my old man's '58 VW window van (Deluxe Microbus they called it) with the sliding canvas top. It already had so many holes in it from the factory that we were convinced the only thing holding it together was Tiger Hair and the glass in the windows after its first couple of winters there. Nothing like 30 hp in a shoebox on wheels. Smile

dix
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 7901
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:06 am

I'm in the south hills of Pittsburgh. where were you from. ??

Big W

Post by Big W on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:06 am

vanning up here is only a 5 month hobby for some of us. West coast doesn't get the snow we get on the prairies, so they can cruise around a lot longer with rain tires on. That salt they put on the roads up here turns the asphalt white when there's no snow on the roads which is a recipe for disaster on these old vehicles. Mine is parked from October till June, by that time the salt is washed away and it's safe to bring out the old cars. Hahaha...Reindeer...Your Killin Me... lol! cheers

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

dix wrote:I'm in the south hills of Pittsburgh. where were you from. ??

Lots of Westinghouse and US Steel folks lived in our township so you saw a lot of kids coming and going over the years. Usually any new kid would get partnered with somebody who had lived wherever they were coming from to help get them acclimated. So one day myself and another kid with family in Baltimore are introduced to a new guy from down that way. We pal around for weeks and never really speak much about what our Dads do for a living, me mainly 'cuz mine's a college professor, and what could be more boring for a kid right? So football season nears and we're all like "dude, ya gotta try out for football!", and he's like "no way!".
This kid was a beast. A real nice, quiet sort, but an amazing athlete who could do more pull ups and ran about as fast as anyone I'd ever seen.
"My Dad's really into football so I'm just gonna play soccer."

We were all mortified... soccer?! Those were different times, and I'm guessing that part of the country hasn't changed much, but if you ever had any intentions of meeting girls, you had better damn well play football... or maybe hockey, or at least wrestle, but soccer?

Long story short, his name was Chris, and his Dad was the new coach of the perennial whipping boy of the NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers, so nobody really gave a crap that his Dad was Chuck Noll. Actually I seem to recall them getting quite a bunch of grief during those early years, like when he benched the NCAA champ QB and local favorite from Notre Dame in Favor of some hillbilly from Louisiana Tech, or the fact that he "wasted" a first round pick on a big Black defensive lineman in '69 (ahead of even the Notre Dame star). Ya just didn't do that sort of thing back then. I still have the headline page from the Post Gazette I think it is that says "Joe Who?"

Anyway the Nolls bought a house down the street from us, right across from Eisenhower Elementary School in Upper St. Clair (have you ever heard such a pompous name for a community... although somewhat deserved?). Great place to grow up, but we also lived in Bethel Park and Mt. Lebanon for a while, and my Dad later moved to Squirrel Hill after he and my mother got divorced. I was long gone by then but have lots of fond memories of growing up there. Used to drive my kids up there to visit the greatest amusement park in the world, and now they take theirs. Carnegie Museum still has the best dinosaur exhibit I've ever seen (even better than the Smithsonian IMNSHO). Also used to visit Steeler training camp while we were up. Funny as hell, the Steelers would attract something like 50,000 to a run of the mill summer practice and down in B'more the Ravens fans would go crazy about how 10,000 showed up for some special fan day B.S.
So sad. Wink

Hey... what do the Ravens wear for their throw back jersey days?
Answer: Cleveland Browns' jersey of course. Ouch!

Always loved "The Burgh". Besides... where else can you get a whole meal on a sandwich and ride a crooked cable car like the mill hunkies used to do.
Old Frothingslosh, The Pale Stale Ale with the foam on the bottom! Smile

dix
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 7901
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:26 pm

belive it or not i grew up in castle shannon and moved to upper st. clair about 22 years ago for my son's education. small world... did you run the van back then ?? I even know the owner of chuch noll's old house

mrkil

Number of posts : 13

Post by mrkil on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Hry all
just aquired a 67 g10 in a trade and I'm excited to get started on getting it road worthy.
thanks for having me

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:22 pm

dix wrote:belive it or not i grew up in castle shannon and moved to upper st. clair about 22 years ago for my son's education. small world... did you run the van back then ?? I even know the owner of chuch noll's old house
Man... takin' me back. No I didn't have the van when I lived there, but I used to use it to drive up from B'more to visit.

Connolly's used to live right on the corner and Hoovers either on the other side or maybe one more down. We used to play hoops with Coach around back and down their drive. Also used to join us to play Risk down the basement in the summer time (they were rich - had central air:D ). He cheated like crap! Hated, I mean viscerally hated to loose. We were like 12 and 13 and he'd be crashin' into us on his way to the basket and body checkin' like it was hockey. Totally understood why Chris didn't wanna play ball. His Mom, Mary Anne, was a peach. Coach was still pretty cool though.

My Dad used to teach at CMU, Mom at St. Thomas Moore (even though we went to Faith Lutheran). Originally we lived down on Bartley, with the milkman and civil servant types. There were so many "good Catholics" living down there that had like ten and twelve kids livin' in one of those little bungalows we used to call it "Fertile Valley", also as a kind of nod to Penn State since so many kids around there ended up at "Happy Valley". Then my Dad got full professor and it was like the Jeffersons, we literally "moved on up" to Ft. Couch Rd., right across from Miranda Drive. Nothing like caddying for your classmates to build character and mess up your values. Better to be the richest kid in the poorer neighborhood than visa-versa, but I digress.

Gotta say, I don't think you could have picked a better place for educating your kids. I left there and ended up in one of the best private schools in Baltimore, and I quickly learned two things. "The Clair" was way ahead educationally, and their varsity football players wouldn't have lasted a half day on our JV squad. I was never that crazy about sports for my own kids (thought it might be better that they keep their knees and brains in tact for their real life) but it was definitely an experience. Your taxes are doubtless insane, but you definitely get your money's worth with that school system. Their music and arts programs were absolutely phenomenal. From their band and orchestra programs to theater arts and foreign languages they were always at a completely 'nuther level. Actually I think somebody told me that our old shop teacher, Mr. Warzinski was still teaching at Ft. Couch. Definitely one of the finest and coolest teachers I ever had. He taught us about auto mechanics on his then new Dodge Challenger. Very Happy TBPH. just about every teacher I can recall having there was a difference maker. Great choice Dad, hope your son appreciates what you've done. Smile

Big W

Post by Big W on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Welcome to VV mrkil. Show us a pic when you can, weed love to see it. I hope you didn't trade the wifes car for it....lol. affraid cheers

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 am

Big W wrote:Welcome to VV mrkil. Show us a pic when you can, weed love to see it. I hope you didn't trade the wifes car for it....lol. affraid cheers

Shhh. Wink

Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:22 am

Welcome To VV Guy's..!!!.. cheers ..Enjoy The Ride.....

mrkil

Post by mrkil on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 am

Here is a quick pic. I started a thread with more detailed pics. I'll use it for a build thread.

vanny

Post by vanny on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Looks like it has a nice stance if it was on a level surface! Can't wait to see more pics!!!

mrkil

Post by mrkil on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Here it is level.
I was under the front end to adjust the steering box and noticed the front springs are pretty flat. Likely patially because of the v8.

vanny

Post by vanny on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Ahh, much better! V8, always nice to have a little giddy-up when you need it! Looking Good!!! cheers

OutofSight

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:59 pm

New guy here, I'm near the end of a 6 year project. Looking forward to all of the valuable knowledge here.

Big W

Post by Big W on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Welcome to VV. Show us some pics when you get a chance...weed love to see it.

wideload
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:57 am

OutofSight welcome to VV, it might prove helpful if you put your actual location. You might have a fellow vanner in your area and not even know it.

OutofSight

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:25 pm

wideload wrote:OutofSight welcome to VV, it might prove helpful if you put your actual location. You might have a fellow vanner in your area and not even know it.

Good advice, thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:57 am