VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Scott
sasktrini
texasjohn
donivan65
G-Man
61econoline
10 posters

Trouble on I-99 Seattle

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Empty Trouble on I-99 Seattle

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

I just bought this 66 chev van last summer and we got the motor re-built 250, after almost a year Its on the road. I had the drive live replaced at drivelines NW for 277 dollars. they call it "dynamically Balanced" my toe!!! I had never taken the van or the new motor above 50mph- so I thought I would try it. Everything went wrong the whole van started shaking and the front wheels statrted sweaying back and fourth!!! then I heard a BOOM and then a rattle very loud - I blew the damn drive line out on t he road. and my wheels were laying out flat///// My front bushings, tie rod bar and wheel assembalies are toast, I believe, and I might have to bag the 66 project. I bought a van that needed everything- gone through with a fine tooth comb- NE wayz I wanted to ask anyone If there are some advantages to the 3rd gens,- not as cool looking- but power steering, cheap - and about a million of them in the wreking yard- This is a sad moment -might have to strip and sell-- but a dead horse is no good to any one/////////////
    Big noer out-----
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Empty Re: Trouble on I-99 Seattle

Post by 61econoline Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:38 am

sorry to hear about you troubles.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 am

thats is bummer news, but don't give up on early's
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 am

My 65 Chevy Van is still going strong coming up on 500,000 miles,,,,,,something or someone caused your problems,,,,,so what let go????rear end or trans move to let the driveshaft fall out???? tie rod break to cause the wheels to fold in? I would not blame the van,,,,,,,you need to check everything out to see what you got when you buy an early Van,,,,,,,,and fix the problems BEFORE you go out in the World.........

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

any pics so we know exactly what happened? did it kick out a drive "shaft" or did some thing in the front end let go? dont give up on the old girl yet.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:55 pm

just an echo of previous posts... don't give up! she's a winner!
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 am

thats my biggest fear......did you confront the driveline guys????
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm glad you are safe. Really sorry about your luck, and hope you can figure out a good way through it!

Post by Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Drive line guys couldnt care less - I guess it seems that my mesurments were to make sure that the slip yoke was no further than 1/2 inch out of the tranny but when I got the drive line back, and put it in, it was more like 1 inch --- they said that that was the max and it would be fine. It wasnt. but ultimately its up to me to make sure everything is up to par before I get on the road--- This is more like a project /// I thought I could use it as a daily driver right away. oops. Still dont know why the wheels fell flat???? -Noer
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:23 pm

So you had the driveshaft made too short and it fell out,,,,,Now,,,you can start by telling us what was done to the front end RIGHT BEFORE you had problems,,,,,,,,,or if NOTHING was ever done to check it out. And what is flat? Like all the lugs came off or the wheel bearings froze up and the hubs came off the spindle or are they just turned too far out? People always like to know how to fix problems but knowing what NOT to to do is also worth knowing,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 am

So did anything go wrong with the front, or was it all in the rear?

I looked at their site, if you took it to them to do all the work they should have done all the measuring themselves. If you simply picked-up the shaft and installed it yourself, then its on you.

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Pictur13

Since they are "Driveshaft Experts", and have the 'Number One Goal to build a trouble free driveline', they should know how to measure the exact length needed, and cover the cost of their mistake.

You should consider small claims court, the notice alone may make them cover their mistake.

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Empty Looking for new slip yoke ---

Post by Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

At Drivelines NW they were telling me how to mesure it . we mesured it to be 1/2 inch out from the tranny. Got it back and it was 1 inch. they said that it was fine. It didnt fall out, the slip yoke broke in 1/2 and then it blew out. There claiming it was from a shock load now, but the van was empty. They also claim that they re tested it at 3000 rpms on there machine and it was ok. funny how they want to give me a deal on legthning it 1/2 inch- even though "its a shock load that caused it" --- about the front end-- "Like all the lugs came off or the wheel bearings froze up and the hubs came off the spindle or are they just turned too far out?"---, Donnavan65 - The lugs were still on the rims and it looked like the studs were broke clean off -- and I mean flat like the top of the wheel fell to the ground-- also, the large nut on the hub was dry- is that where the bearings go? It might have froze up, and broke.
    Thanks
    Noah study
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Now we are getting somewhere,,,,,,,so do you see something like this,,,,,,,,the nut, the washer, 2 bearings or no bearing by the nut? I am starting to think you locked up the front wheels and twisted that driveshaft off,,,,,,,,or you pissed off God,,,,,,,,,what is the measurement on your driveshaft,,,,,,,I think it should be 21" ,,,,,,,,(Ritchie61,what is yours on that 66?)

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Repai121

Trouble on I-99 Seattle U_join10
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 am

Don, my driveshaft measures 23"
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

There are at least 3 different sized driveshafts and 2 different number splines for the Early Chevy Vans,,,,,,,,I think the 66 -70 have fine spline yokes as well as all automatics and the 64 and 65 use a course spline on their 3 speeds. So,,,,,,,anybody got different dimensions especially the 700 and 200 trans conversions??????

Trouble on I-99 Seattle 3_driv10
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Sometimes when a metal part like that breaks its just from plain old metal fatigue (slip yoke) if they reused the old yoke it may have been subjected to some unusual abuse in its 45 yr old life span. The lugnuts sounds like a victim of over tightening or incorrect installation. Glad you got through it in 1 piece!

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:24 am

Ahh yes there are no bearings--there-- and that nut is sheared pretty good too. I will take that 23'' mesurement to Drivelines nw as soon as I can find a course splined yoke.
    Thanks !!!!
    Noah
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 am

So why did you have to get a new driveshaft anyways,,,,,,,was it missing? I think that front yoke is pretty common,,,,,,,now if that driveshaft they made for you is not 23", then I think you will still have problems. we sure could use some pictures of what happened,,,,,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am

So, did you swap to a TH350 Transmission?

big noer wrote:Hey all,
    I will be pulling the 230 out of my van on weds and i was wondering how to swap in a th350 tranny with the mounts how they are on the manual tranny. there is no cross member just a stabalizer bar mounted to the side of it. any ideas?
    Big Noer

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:38 pm

I think the splined yoke broke from being old? Then the studs broke and the wheels fell. I had to fix the Drive line because it was too short and the spline yoke hung out 2 inches. But I found another vintage vanner in Seattle and he might have the part.=====Oh about the tranny - its stilla three speed but Im going to throw in a auto asap== Also trying to borrow my brothers camera and get the pics.
    Thanks-
    Noah
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:19 pm

I think the opposite happened,,,,,,,the front wheels locked up,,,,,,, you were trying to go over 50 MPH,,,,,,,,and the driveshaft got caught in the middle of all that drama,,,,,,,and broke,,,,,,Here are some pictures of good hubs,,,,,,,,,

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Repai122
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:57 pm

My first van, a 65, back in the 70's was at that time 12 years old. The fastest I could go was 45 mph, over that the front end would shake violently because of worn kingpins....so I never went over 45 and it lasted a few more years until I traded it for a Pinto hatchback....what was I thinking???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:05 pm

My Van will do 80 OK,,,,,,and I have front and rear sway bars, a 250 engine with a 3 speed,,,,,,3:36 rear end ,,,,205/70R15 tires and a steering stabilizer on the front end.......

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Empty going over 50 mph

Post by Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm

I found another vanner in seattle who has a 68 108' with a 4 speed- will that course splined yoke work for my 1st gen 90' 3 speed? and he's got a steering wheel as well -----will that fit the first gens?
    But about going over 50 - My front wheel assemblys needed bearings and replacement studs also the lugs were metric sized, 3/5 on the left and 1/5 on the right - I don't know if that made a difference but before I go out on the road again I will be checking all of this out. under the drivers side wheel assembly It got grinded down and the tie rods need to be replaced, it looks like you just take the entire rod that has the two tie rod ends on it off and put it in a vice------ then put the new ones in---- is that right?--------- Oh what are king pins?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Count the teeth on the shaft coming out of your transmission and see how many teeth his has. Also measure the cup size on your U Joint on your driveshaft to be sure his yoke has the same sized cups in it. A kingpin is the shaft that is bolted into the axle. It does not turn,,,,however,, the spindles that the wheels go on, need to be able to turn left and right. so in the top and bottom holes in the spindle that the kingpin goes through are bushings,,,usually plastic,,,,could be bronze, that are pressed into the ends. These wear out,,,,and that will let the wheels wobble in and out at the top. To test them, jack up a tire, try and shake the top of the tire in and out,,,,,it should not move very much.......The tie rod ends are left and right hand threaded,,,,,,,,they just unscrew ,,,,,,

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Repai123

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Repai124

Trouble on I-99 Seattle Repai125

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 pm