VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
EconoUSAparts
Kakster
donivan65
G-Man
savage
9 posters

"Almost" made it to 1st car show

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

"Almost" made it to 1st car show - Page 2 Empty Re: "Almost" made it to 1st car show

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Well the good part is that in a few weeks you'll have Winter and will have plenty of time to work on it.
    But you might have a wiring problem that acts up when the engine starts,,,,,did you clip a jumper wire on the Pos side of the coil and run it on 12 volts? Did you turn the distributor when it was running to get it to run better? It could of jumped Cam timing,,,,those plastic gears break all the time,,,,,you might want to pull the Valve Cover or see if you can see the #1 cyl rocker arms and turn the engine over by hand and watch to see when both rockers are up,,,,,that puts the Cam on TDC, then see if the mark on
    the Balancer lines up to around TDC. You could also pull the front side cover and watch until you get the 1st 2 lifters all the way up, then check and see if the balancer mark is around TDC. Whats the DWELL when its running?????
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

"Almost" made it to 1st car show - Page 2 Empty Re: "Almost" made it to 1st car show

Post by Digz Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm

I had an odd thing happen on mine while messing with the harness , I rehooked it up to that clip thats beside the drivers seat in the doghouse ,, It wouldnt do anything,, I took it back off and let it hang and it works fine,,lol.. Its that large connector goofing up ,,something I will have to look into when i get it roadable
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Yea I had trouble with it before, but not anymore I pulled out harness today, and went through the whole thing and got rid of the connector. Mine was half melted and the wire were all hacked up. also got new batt. Now if I can just get it to run again???
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Have Ya tried another fresh set of plugs yet?
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046

Post by VANagain Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:27 am

Come on, the suspense is killing me... What is it?!!?!!

As frustrating as this is, it isn't time for a new engine yet. When I drop in my rebuilt engine, I could get a problem just like this from one of the many, old parts attached to it.

I recommend trying Donivan's test of running a 12V wire to the coil. Diagnostics is all about process of elimination. The more you can eliminate the better. I say, disconnect the wire on the positive side of the coil and run a fresh, new, trustworthy wire directly from the battery straight to the coil. This is how you hotwire a car (very easy on our old classics!). Now you've ruled out all the wiring in the loom, including that pesky whatchamacallit that drops the voltage down to 6V when running. I think you said you had even more trouble after replacing the coil. That might have aggrevated that positive wire by disconnecting and reconnecting it. It could be frayed inside.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 am

It was about 10 pm when I got the harness back in, didn't want to P off my neighbors whih me rev my motor trying to see if it runs right now??? but it was turning over again. Yes Don has been a big help trying to find out whats going on with my van. I tryed most of what Don has said,but not the 12 volts to coil. More later. And Thank's to Everbody who has help on this problem. Tom
    savage
    savage

"Almost" made it to 1st car show - Page 2 Empty It Runs & drives again !!!!!

Post by savage Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:16 am

Troy stoped by on Sun and gave me a hand figureing out what was going on with my van. It turned out to be a combination of a bunch of stuff. Had to pull dist and reset it, new wire from starter to coil,new condencer,new vac line from carb to dist. And for some reson the carb I had put on didn't have any vac at the port for vac advance for dist?? So we redid the 2 Rochester carbs I had into 1 good one(need to get backup carb). (Still need to get new plugs,Not AC brand) and chaged oil(to many times trying to start it with no spark) Just wanted to Thank everbody again for all your imput on this problem. Tom Very Happy Cool
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am

I glad to hear the 64 is running right cheers
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Just to be sure, is another early is running sweet? cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 pm